The spaces between seconds (DonnaxGwen, not sure what genre either.)

I tried something different with writing styles, but didn't like it much.

But like Donna lesbian supremacy!!!

Gwen Loves counting, she's been good at it since she was a kid, she's counting into the millions when she had the time. It was an activity she and her mother did when Gwen was still learning how to talk. Maybe it was a coping mechanism of sorts?

She took to counting the seconds instead of sheep when she was younger, maybe around ten or twelve? She stopped a little before her fourteenth birthday after her dad told her it was stupid.

She still counted, just not as much as when she was younger, more just in school when she'd eat behind the school during lunch with her older brother Finney. Finney used to date one of her not-as-close friends, Donna. But they broke up when Donna came out, Finn's still close with her but Gwen stopped hanging out with her after she got called a few slurs by the kids who bullied her brother.

She stopped counting seconds when she started digging her nails into her palms, to stop she started counting milliseconds, the spaces between seconds Finn told her when she was younger.

She appreciated the efforts Finn would put in for her, but he needed to pay more attention to his own life, especially after what happened with...not important. She remembers a quote from one of Amy's TV shows, the world went quiet. That perfectly sums up that moment when she hugged her brother for the first time in what felt like years.

She remembered Donna bringing some assorted desserts by when she got the news, she thanked her quietly so as to not wake her father in the other room and Donna left after a little bit of small talk. She wore a pretty floral dress with the background color being off-white.

Finn and her broke up around sophomore year for them, and freshman for Gwen, about a year ago. She admired Donna's bravery, even if the town's more accepting than it was when their parents were kids it's still a very small tightly-knit place. Word gets around.

Gwen herself could never, even if she yearns to be out like Donna, she knows it'd make her home life much more difficult. She can sit by idly till she's off to college and away from her father, even if it means passing up the opportunity of Donna.

Like when she was around nine, she saw Donna glance at her lips before catching herself. This was at Donna's tenth birthday party, Gwen's mom was still alive at this time and she was in love with the idea of the two girls being friends. Gwen didn't really like Donna much at this time because she was jealous of the fact she had a good home life. Even if it was better than it is now, it still wasn't great.

When she was she think eleven, Donna was twelve, she remembers Donna making a comment about how she was jealous of Gwen's bravery and how tough she is. Which, fair, she had almost beaten a boy's brains in for jumping her brother. Ironic, since Gwen's now jealous of Donna's bravery.

She remembers something about Donna talking about how similar she and her brother are, in hindsight, should've been a dead giveaway of her not really liking her brother.

When Finn makes a comment about Donna and her hanging out more at lunch that day, she kinda laughs it off and makes it a point to not hang out with her as much, out of respect.

When Finn's saying goodnight to her about a week later, he mentions the fact Donna goes to all of her plays, nothing she can really do anything about. But she laughs it off once again and makes a joke about how she must really like theatre.

And when Donna confronts her a month later in the bathroom, a week before she's supposed to perform as Juliet in the school play, she plays dumb and pretends she has no idea what she's talking about. This brings back the old nervous quirk of digging her nails into her palms and counting the seconds in the back of her head.