Chapter 4

2 years ago

                       2 years ago

I said yes. I thought about it for 4 days, and my answer was always yes. When you love someone, you take whatever little they're willing to give you. And he is giving me everything. Love is a luxury, that not everyone needs. You can live without it very well. And I can too. Tomorrow is my birthday and I'll leave Delhi the day after that. It was good spending the last month here. Away from the scrutinizing eyes of the people that despise me. Rather I was here with people that care. My parents, grandparents and an amazing man.

Though he isn't interested in being my boyfriend, I am more than happy to oblige. I have wanted that man for as long as I remember. I didn't even know he would give in this easily. I've spent the last month with him and I cannot wait to spend more. Our families have sat together and agreed to have a long engagement period. We can get married whenever we feel like it. Till then we are each other's fiance. My brother is keeping me company today and I have no idea why. "Tu kar kya raha hai? Aise to mujhse bura koi hai nahi. To aaj kyu chipka hua hai mujhse?"

(What exactly are you doing? You say there is no one worse than me, then why are you accompanying me everywhere today?)

He rolls his eyes at me and goes back to playing his stupid minecraft or whatever he is playing. I look back down at the book I am reading. I have read this book several times and I love it but I can't concentrate today. So I shut it and get up. Just like I thought my brother is out of the room, following me to the kitchen. Stupid asshole. "Do you want to eat something, duffer? I am cooking." He nods his head like a little child. I look into the fridge and see we have some fresh tomatoes. I make some soup along with grilled cheese. This idiot loves the food I cook but God forbid if he ever praises it.

That's when I realize, he is sticking by my side because I'll leave in a day. This is his way. A weird, non verbal way of saying that he will miss me. He did the exact same thing when I shifted to Udaipur 2 years ago. 16 year old him was not happy. "Stop smiling di, you look like a lunatic." Dumbass.

We eat our food and go to bed. Tomorrow is my last day here. And I have a party to attend. Even though it's a surprise party, my parents aren't very good at hiding that fact. I figured it out. Still it's the effort that counts.

                          □▪︎□▪︎□

No one was around the whole day and none of them have wished me. I know what they plan to do today but not wishing me is stupid. Like who cares that you throw a party after wishing someone? It's evening now and my brother has finally decided to take me 'out'. I know he is taking me to the party but whatever, I play along. I am too dressed up for going out, simply to a restaurant. We reach a hotel that my father owns and walk inside. As expected it's all dark and suddenly the lights turn on and everyone screams "Happy Birthday!!"

"Oh my God! I thought you guys forgot my birthday." I try to act as surprised and elated as I can but I guess it didn't work. My mother raises an eyebrow at me. "You knew, didn't you?" I sigh and mutter a yes. Everyone groans but I assure them that it is still very sweet. My parents, grandparents, all of them and my brother and all the other guests wish me with a hug. I turn around when I hear someone call me and I look up to see Kabir. "Happy birthday Princess." I smile at him. "Thank you Prince." He doesn't look amused.