Terminology by Penelope Argyris-Onai

Aquatic: They're the fishies, for lack of a better term. Originally, they were what started mermaid legends and are even more secretive than the myths. Their skin shimmers under bright lights and contains an element many humans covet, selling them and their scales on the black market. As a direct cause, they keep to themselves unless it is the year of The Exchange or dealing with matters pertaining to the council. They distrust all others and prefer to stay out of the conflicts of man. Their primary locations are off the coast of California and Greece, where they originated.

Lis: They are the most active in the council, carrying messages to the shifters from the humans. They worked alongside the humans in order to establish peace during war and work with them and the other tribes everyday to keep it. They are led by women, commonly referred to as the Mother or First Vixen of the tribe, and the first selects a handful of those from within and outside her tribe as a sort of Lis council known as the Inner Circle. They are a simple, traditional farming folk who primarily originated in Poland and migrated to Wyoming and the surrounding areas, which they eventually negotiated through the Civil Peace Treaty. When first arriving in Wyoming and forming the new tribe, they changed their names to Lis from Paszek to set themselves apart as their population grew, just as the Alaskan Fox tribe did when leaving the arctic who still carry the latter. They are also known as the first allies and all shifter tribes in the US go to them for guidance.

Okami: They are the primary wolf tribe of the US and hail from East Asia, primarily Japan, Thailand and South Korea, with a spare few in Indonesia. Their US location is centered around the eastern coast and they work with the human government to protect national security. They are another land dwelling tribe and have quite a bit in common with the Lis, but a rather large amount of differences as well. They can also break their bonds while the fox tribes cannot and must give into their carnal urges before their mating ceremony to relieve the tension. Alongside the Lis, they protect the White Alaskan fox tribe and any threats made by shifters to any type of living being. They have a strong sense of loyalty and status, but can be quite arrogant and small minded, leading to a rift between themselves and the humans they work with more than any of the other shifters.

US Acciai: This is the rogue American Italian wolf tribe. They do not belong to the Acciai tribe in Italy, being cast out, and have been simultaneously attacking major hubs around the US, the latest of which was upon the White Alaskan fox tribe. They meant to wipe out their entire species, but the Alaskan tribe has many allies and will always prevail. There is not much else known about the US Acciai as they always keep on the move and never allow capture. Their leader still remains unnamed and at large.

Bond: Webster would define this as something that binds or restrains, and while the binding part of it may work out, the restraint doesn't in our world. Our bonds keep us tied to each other, but never restrain. If anything, our bonds open a completely new world of possibilities. We just have to be brave enough to accept them. These bonds are different for each type of shifter and define culture within tribes. Some are also only possible with certain types of people, such as the tribal leaders or hybrids.

Hybrids: Not much is known about hybrids as of yet. There have not been many that lived past infancy or that were even conceived for that matter. It is not common for a hybrid to exist. However, on occasion one is found and chaos follows.

Paszek Lis/White Alaskan Fox: There isn't a lot known about the Alaskan tribe as of yet as they are also an endangered species much like feline shifters. They were stricken a deadly blow in the first wave of terror attacks launched against the shifters by the US Acciai and the Smith family, but a handful of members were saved. They've begun rebuilding their lives, but many believe the worst is yet to come.

Feline Shifters: There are only two facts widely known of the feline shifters. First, that they are very secluded, living lives off the grid and away from society. And second, that they reincarnate once upon their first death, but into the body of a non-feline shifter. Many have ideas as to why they are so secretive, as to why very little is known of them, but most know the exact reason. Poachers have hunted them to the brink of existence and the rarity behind meeting one only grows exponentially higher with each passing day.

Pierwsza Matka/First Mother: As the original First Vixen to the Lis tribe, all who have come after her pay respect as it is believed she still looks over them all until they join her in the Wielki Las.

Wielki Las/Great Forest: This is the home the Lis believe they will gather within the afterlife together. It is a place of utter peace, revered as the home of Pierwsza Matka.

Ochrona/Security: Stage one of the Lis soul bond indicating the need to protect one's mate.

Zrozumienie/Understanding: Stage two of the Lis soul bond indicating understanding between those involved. During this stage, those involved gain the ability to mentally communicate with one another.

Wieczny/Eternal: Stage three of the Lis soul bond indicating eternal togetherness. This also means their union is blessed by Pierwsza Matka and can complete their union.

Okami Investigative Agency: A specific branch of the Okami wolf tribe, located in Japan, South Korea and the U.S., their primary location being Osaka, Japan. They are one of the most distinguished, reputable agencies that investigates offenses upon shifters and humans alike. However, they don't always play well with others and can be testy. Still, they have proven themselves a divisive member of the shifter/human alliance and are a vital asset in squashing threats to national security.

Okami Bonds: The Okami form bonds, much like all shifters. Although, they bear stark differences as well. While the fox may not act intimately until their bonding ceremony, it is highly encouraged within the Okami. In fact, after the first bond is set, it can become painful to resist physical intimacy. Many have investigated the direct cause, yet none can find any discernible reason. They do, however, have restrictions. It is frowned upon to link with their mate before their ceremony as it can lead to emotional complications for both parties down the line. Bites are passable, but claws are strictly prohibited.

Linking: When an Okami finds their mate, they have a natural instinct to connect with them. This is accomplished through physical intimacy and speaking with one another until the mating ceremony is complete. Afterward, the two may link. This consists of the dominate wolf embedding their claws within the nape of their mate's neck, solidifying their bond for eternity. Doing so before a mating ceremony can result in not only psychological damage for both parties, but exile as well.

Rogue Wolf: The Okami, like all other wolf tribes, have those who defect, are cast out in exile, or simply prefer solidarity. They are known as Rogues. Many live normal lives while others, those who have defected or even been exiled, rebel against their tribe. Rogues are a mixed breed, but none carry bonds with any shifters. This is what makes them Rogues and, in some cases, can even lead to death.

Feral Wolf: There is a small faction of rogue wolves that can become maddened, unable to ever take human form again and ravenous with hunger. They kill indiscriminately and have no humanity left. Most are caught and euthanized. The cause is unknown and there is no cure.

Bond Severing: This is only possible with wolf shifters. They are able to sever the bonds formed with others, whether platonic, romantic, familial, etc. If one party severs their bond and the other does not, however, it will eat them from the inside out, destroying their essence until their is nothing left.

Wolf Scratches/Bites: If a human is scratched, although it can happen if they are bitten deeply enough on occasion, there are two outcomes. The first and most common is for their body to have no reaction at all, other than possibly needing medical care. The second, however, happens to a niche amount of humans, turning them into a hybrid. They cannot shift aside from growing claws and fangs, but all their senses become heightened. There has never been a case of a human changing into a dominant, as all those afflicted with the change can never fully shift. To top it off, not all can survive the changed, the vast majority dying within the first hour and a half.