Chapter Eighteen

Imogen walked into her uncle's office in their site trailer and began to riffle through his things. She knew she should have waited, but Kimi was following him and he was heading home, which was nowhere near there. She needed to find out what made Miles turn on his family so easily and just how many lies he'd told her in all the years she viewed him like a father.

There has to be a good reason... She pondered as she checked in all the drawers of his desk, shining a light into them and finding absolutely nothing. Not a spray bottle. Not even a scrap of paper about... Well, what were you expecting? Evidence to be laying out everywhere?

Imogen ran her fingers through her hair and heard the closing of a door outside of the trailer. Peeking through the window blinds, she spotted a black SUV parked just outside, but didn't see anyone in or around it. That was until a woman stood to her full height, emerging from the other side of the vehicle, before she walked around it. She smiled as she opened the passenger's side door and something about her was so familiar. A second woman that stood almost an entire head shorter than her stepped out of the car and took the taller woman's hand.

What the hell? This woman seemed vaguely familiar too. Who the bloody hell are these people? They talked to each other for a moment, then the taller one lifted her head to the sky. She said something with a smirk and they both looked off at something in the distance.

Following a brief moment of Imogen wondering what it may have been garnering their attention, Kimi came out and grimaced at them both. The taller one wrapped her arm around Kimi's neck and ruffled her hair, then the smaller one gave her a few pats on the cheek. Imogen was somewhat in shock. She thought Kimi was a rather large woman, she was without a doubt, but this woman was around the same size. Perhaps even bigger or more brawny. The other beside her was small and closer to Imogen's size, which paled in comparison to the other two standing beside her, but she was still bigger than herself. They all were, which meant they must have been shifters. Kimi and the other woman were definitely dominants.

Kimi pushed them away and crossed her arms over her chest like an indignant child, then looked directly at Imogen making her jolt. Shit... How did she...? Did she follow me here after she stopped tailing Miles?

"Come out here, Imogen. They won't hurt you." Kimi called to her with that all knowing smirk. Once Imogen had made it outside, she moved to Kimi's side and stayed somewhat behind her. Both women were peeking at her and glowingly chipper. "Stop that!" Kimi snarled as she wrapped her arm around the front of Imogen's torso, letting her remain hidden. "You're scaring her."

"Well, can you really blame us for being curious, Kim? You finally have a bond, and a soul bond no less." The taller one said with a wide, proud smile as she waved at Imogen. Why was that smile so...reminiscently amicable?

"Yeah, when we saw you in Alaska you were so sulky and brooding everywhere and now..." The shorter woman said as she gestured to Kimi and giggled. "Well, just look at you. I told you humans aren't that bad."

"That was years ago when those damn attacks first started, and I hate to break your luck--" Kimiko began.

"No, you don't." They both interrupted in unison, but Kimi ignored them, glancing toward Imogen's soft chortling at the embarrassment flooding her girlfriend's features.

"But I am still just as broody." The two mysterious women both exchanged looks with each other and the taller snorted as they glanced back over at her. Kimi's jaw hit the dirt, causing Imogen to nearly balk had she not quickly covered her smile. She scrunched up her face and wrapped her arm around Imogen's side instead, bringing her forward and against her side. Kimi sent her a concerned look as she ran her hand up and down her hip. "I told you to let me take care of all of this. You should be at home."