Chapter Twenty-Four

"Ow!"

Imogen pinched Kimiko again. "Don't rush in by yourself half-cocked when I tell you I have things under control next time! I mean, Jesus Christ, Kimi, just what were you thinking?"

"Ow! Fuck! Stop pinching me!" Kimiko sat with her arms over her chest as Imogen relentlessly punished the soft part of her upper arm.

They were all in Xenia's vehicle on the road to a safehouse just outside of town. Everyone was tired and Kimiko was irritated from being made to put on some of Miles' clothes since she shredded hers when she shifted.

"Then listen, love!" Imogen fussed and attacked her arm once more, receiving a scowl. What the hell? The nerve of this human! Imogen deserved the frown and a good spanking. Kimiko smirked and rubbed her arm, but Imogen scrunched up her face and looked away with her hands in the air. "Stop acting so smug, Kimi. Nothing about this is funny. I told you I'd be okay and if anyone needed to rush in, let Xenia and Bastet. We didn't know if the pheromones would affect them, but we knew they would affect you and now look at yourself."

"I was worried..." Kimiko mumbled as she looked out of the window and leaned her forehead along the cold glass.

"I understand that, but you scared me." Imogen took hold of her hand and rested her forehead along her shoulder. She pulled away and Kimiko kept her eyes glued out of the window. "Darling, please listen. You knew how scared I was. What if we hadn't been able to bring you back to your senses? I don't want you to wind up like those other wolves. I can't..."

Kimiko looked over at Imogen and found her with her head in her hands, her shoulders trembling with sobs. She wrapped her arm around her shoulders and pulled her head up, wiping away her tears.

"I'm sorry. I... I got worried and rushed in and made a big mistake. I'm mad at myself, Imogen, not you." Her eyes flooded with more tears and Kimiko felt her heart breaking, the torment her actions had brought Imogen hitting her square in the face like a slap. She wrapped her up in her arms. "I'm sorry, Imogen. I'm sorry I didn't listen."

"You know, it's only her natural instinct." Bastet chimed in. When they both looked at her rather disparagingly, she seemed a bit put-off.

"Private conversation, Bast." Pen told her as she rubbed her leg.

Bastet looked at her like she didn't get what privacy even meant, then back at them as she pointed in their direction. "Then, why are they having it in front of people?"

Kimiko could hear Xenia and Jules laughing from the front of the SUV and Pen smacked her lips, then chuckled in such a melodic tune Kimiko stared in stunned silence. "Bast, where else are they going to have the conversation?"

"I don't know... After the battle is over?"

"Well, just tune them out for now, mate. It's not our business."

"But they're right in front of me." Bastet pointed at them again and Pen swatted at her hand.

This time Kimiko had to chuckle. "Um, does she not really get--"

"Social cues." Xenia finished from the front seat, then Pen explained the mystery of Bastet Onai-Argyris.

"Bast spent most of her life in the woods, not really talking to many people." She played with the hybrid's braids and Kimiko smirked as a pur filled the cab. "She's still learning how to be around people. People who aren't pack, I mean."

"Really?" Imogen leaned forward on her elbows and Kimiko began rubbing circles over her back, delighting in the hum she let out before asking. "Why were you raised in the woods, Bastet?"