Chapter Nine

Kimiko pulled up to Imogen's apartment behind her and put her truck in park. Her mind was telling her to follow her up to her floor and keep her in her line of sight, but she hadn't been given permission.

What the fuck? Since when do I take orders from others? Not even Kiyoshi can… 

She watched Imogen disappear into the elevator, and then a human ran to catch up before the doors closed. A growl rumbled low in Kimiko's chest when she saw Imogen catch the door for him and begin to trade pleasantries as they shook hands, but she stopped it from erupting. What was going on? How could this be happening with a human of all people?

They were so weak, so boring, yet Kimiko felt herself drawn toward this one. The way Imogen wouldn't take anything less than what she wanted and her stubbornness. The way she wasn't shy about speaking her mind. The way her hair bobbed when she walked. It all took hold of Kimiko like a leash. Like a pup's owner leading it around, like a lovesick dog over what would best please its mate, Kimiko wanted more.

She rubbed her chin and exhaled as she leaned her forehead against her steering wheel. "With a human? What's wrong with you, wolf?"

No, it wasn't like it was looked down on in the Okami. Many of her tribe's wolves had taken human mates, even her uncle and two of the elders. Okami shifters took human mates fairly regularly when compared to the other tribes, but still... Why did she have to as well?

Kimiko snapped her head up and pulled out her phone. Who else was she going to call in a situation like this but her Uncle Kiyoshi? Yeah, she had said she wouldn't ever speak to him again two, nearly three weeks ago, but still... Kiyoshi was in Mammoth attending the soul bonding ceremony of the hybrid and her Aquatic mate who both belonged to the First Vixen's Inner Circle. Which meant he would have some freetime for her to talk with him.

She hit one, speed dialing him and within one ring, he answered.

"Hello?" His voice sounded far away and tentative.

"Hey, old man." She replied in a raspy voice and clenched her teeth for giving herself away so damn quickly.

"Kimiko? Kimiko!" Kiyoshi exclaimed, his voice dripping with relief as she pulled her phone from her ear for a moment. When she put it back, he added, "How are you?"

She could hear the festivities from beyond the phone and decided to use it. "Did the ceremony go well?"

"Yes! We just began the celebrations. It's good to hear from you, Kimi-chan. Last time we talked--"

She tried not to let his sentimental behaviour distract her and got down to business. "I said things, you said things. I got transferred and..."

"And?"

She pinched the bridge of her nose and stared daringly out of her front windshield. "And things are actually..."

"Did something happen, Kimiko?"

She peeked up at the window of Imogen's apartment and a soft growl rumbled in her chest. "You could say that, yes."

"You're not in trouble, are you?" Kiyoshi paused and she could hear the sounds of the festivities dying down in the background. He was probably walking away and that would only make this conversation longer and all the more unbearable. It was already going to be weird. If he tried to drag it out too long, who knew what could come up the further they spoke with one another. "If you need me or need someone to fetch you, or--"

"That's what you would expect, wouldn't you?"

Silence answered Kimiko. She shouldn't have snapped and for once, she felt badly about it. Usually she could say whatever the hell she wanted to people and not give a shit, but since she met Imogen... Dammit... She dropped her head against her steering wheel again and sighed.