Chapter Eleven

Kimiko sat as far away from Imogen as she could, watching her sip her tea on the other side of the couch. Just minutes earlier, she had Imogen's legs wrapped around her and made her come from just two of her bites. She never realized what effect a wolf's bite may have on a human. Kimiko knew that between wolves, on their more intimate nights, they could quip their arousal by biting each other. They could dull it enough to have rational thought until their final mating night. However, they didn't climax from it.

They relaxed under it, but with this human it had only made her hunger to please Imogen stronger and now she was battling with herself to not take her into her arms again. However, Kimiko hadn't been given permission to do so and had to wait for her mate's approval. She had to respect that and honor their bond to the best of her abilities.

Imogen gave her a long sideways glance, and then set her mug onto her coffee table, rubbing her palms on her thighs with a sigh. She ran her fingers through her hair and massaged the bite mark on her neck. When she pulled her hand back, there wasn't any blood, but she still seemed... She's pissed.

Imogen trailed her fingertips along the bite marks and shivered seemingly absentmindedly, then jolted in alarm. She looked back at Kimiko and crossed her arms, crossing her legs as well, and then sat back. Imogen appeared as though she was also fighting to keep the distance between them and cocked an eyebrow.

"So, what the hell is going on? This isn't exactly normal for me and I'd like an explanation."

Kimiko kneaded her fingers into her thighs and stared down at her feet on the floor. How was she to explain this to a human? What would one of her kind need to know? Humans didn't even have mating traditions. They didn't bond. They got married, and then split up as soon as they were bored.

She couldn't go through something like that, nor would she. If Kimiko knew better, she'd be on the next flight out of the country, going as far away from Imogen as she could, but she knew that would inevitably be worse for them both if she didn't sever the bond first. Until then, she'd comply with the soul bond forming between the two.

"Well?" Imogen's voice interrupted her thoughts and she glanced back up at her.

Kimiko studied her face. Imogen was beautiful and it was somehow even more apparent now that they'd bonded. She bore long lashes and subtle cheekbones with bright green eyes that complemented her fair skin. Kimiko audibly gulped, then calmed her growing arousal enough to speak.

"I believe this is a soul bond. We are in the first stage of the bond."

"A what bond?" Imogen flared her nostrils as she gave her a look of either disbelief, wariness...or both.

"A soul bond." She shifted and turned her body towards Imogen's ever so slightly. If she saw too much of her... Kimiko cleared her throat and tried to speak without giving herself away. It didn't work. "It's something shifters do. Bonding." She basically squeaked out.

"I think it's safe to say bonding is a normal experience in life. Everyone does it. It's what keeps us functional, right?" Imogen leaned back a bit more and her pajama shorts rode up her shapely thighs making Kimiko's mouth water in the process. Goddammit... When did you become such a useless mutt? She asked herself as she dared to gaze up and meet Imogen's eyes. She was watching Kimiko's lips as she spoke. "The point is that this is anything other than normal."

"No, this is a very different type of bonding, Imogen." Kimiko watched her take in a sharp breath and close her eyes for a moment. What would happen if she said her name again? What the fuck is wrong with me...? "We shifters bond on a deeper level than humans. We tether ourselves to each other in three types of bonds. Well, the mammal shifters do."