Chapter Twenty-Five

Kimiko led Imogen to their assigned side of the house, not wanting to let her out of her sight. She'd come so close, too damn close to hurting her mate. The only person with whom she'd bonded aside from her parents her entire existence.

She swallowed down the vomit that threatened to come up and held Imogen's hand a bit tighter. When her fingers squeezed back, she gazed back at her over her shoulder. Imogen was looking up at her in concern and gripping her forearm. She sensed her inner peril growing and assumed where Imogen was headed.

"It's okay. We'll get your family and the Laurens and shifters will unite again and--"

"You think that's all I'm worried about?" Imogen interrupted.

Before Kimiko could respond, Imogen wrapped her arms around her and held her tightly. She was trembling from more tears that spilled onto Kimiko's chest and a tight knot clenched in her gut. Pulling her hair back from her ear, Kimiko shushed her with seet, soft nothings, then Imogen looked up at her and that fiery rage she held when they first met faced back at her.

Imogen gripped her shirt and pulled her down to her lips. She kissed her fiercely, unabashed and unapologetic in her hunger, and Kimiko immediately reacted, pushing her up against a nearby tree. Imogen would never have to apologize for that hunger. Not when it was ever present in Kimiko herself. Imogen ripped Kimiko's shirt over her head and went for her sweatpants. Soon, Kimiko was naked and Imogen was caressing every inch of bare skin she could. Almost like she was committing it all to memory. Like she was afraid if she didn't, she would lose...

Kimiko pulled back and cupped Imogen's face, brushing away her tears with her thumbs. Imogen finally gazed up at her and held onto her shoulders so tightly her nails dug into Kimiko's skin.

"This is your fault. So..." Imogen shuddered under her touch and kissed all over her face. "You'd better come back."

Kimiko couldn't help but smile. Her heart would never feel that stinging ice, never turn into the impenetrable glacier she secretly feared it one day might, and she would always and forever be warm. She leaned in and kissed Imogen leisurely and tenderly like they had all the time in the world, trailing her fingers along her heated cheeks and neck. She pulled back and traced Imogen's eyebrows and jawline, looking over every dip in her features. Every outline. Every texture. Imogen shivered and wrapped her arms around Kimiko's neck, pulling her in so their foreheads touched.

"I will come back." Kimiko declared.

"Don't take risks."

"I won't."

"And be careful."

"I will."

Imogen shivered again and leaned her head down. She nipped at Kimiko's neck, making her flinch, then pulled back with a mischievous grin. Kimiko touched her neck and narrowed her eyes. Just what didn't Imogen know about pushing her buttons? She loved it.

"Maybe you can pay me back when you come back, Special Agent Fujiwara."

Kimiko leaned in and kissed her, rubbing her cheek along the crook of her neck for a moment longer, then took off toward the house.