Chapter Twenty-One

Miles ran toward the black parked sedan across his farm's car lot. It was meant to transport him to a safe, undisclosed destination where he would rendezvous with his family. The car started up, but before Miles could grab the door handle, or actually made it close, it sped away.

He spun around at the sound of a growl and came face-to-face with a mythical sort of creature that looked like none of the foxes he'd helped examine. He didn't know what to make of it, but before he could react, it pinned him to the ground and whined at a giant sized fox that approached from behind. It was the largest red fox he'd ever seen and he began to tremble, head-to-toe.

They looked at each other for a moment, then the larger fox took off in the direction of the car, leaving Miles pinned beneath the smaller and stranger of the two. He heard a car swerving and screeching in the distance, but couldn't see anything. A redheaded woman walked up next to the odd looking fox, holding onto its mane as she looked down at him with a single eyebrow arched and an expression like she was so completely befuddled by him. The fox whimpered and licked the woman's cheek, prompting her to close her eyes, then open them with renewed energy as she stared daggers at Miles. She opened her mouth and what came out was the most intriguing, yet inexplicable tune he could recall. All his limbs suddenly grew so heavy and his world began to blur.

"Goddamn... Aquatic prin...cess..." He muttered out just before he lost all consciousness.