chapter 14 - Lost

Lost.
She'd always been lost.
She didn't exist, now, at least, for this amount of time she was out of consciousness.
Where was she?
Who was that?
Why was he talking to her?

"You fought well" said a voice.

Darth Odian?

"You fought well. And you have become very strong. But not strong enough."

"Am I dead?" Xia Lost asked her former master. Her voice was trying to pierce through a thick veil, and didn't quite seem to manage.

"You were close enough."

She remembered her combat with the Jedi. She had gotten knocked over, and her head had hit some rocks hard enough to knock her out.

Why was she alive? Wouldn't the General have enjoyed his victory and killed her?

"Why am I not dead?" she asked, and somehow, her voice sounded more real this time.

"I am a Jedi Knight, Xia Lost. It is my duty to eradicate the dark side of the force. Even if it resides within myself. To kill you would be ..." responded a familiar voice, "senseless."

The voice was deep, sensuous, maybe it had a faint homely sound to it. In itself, it was pleasant to listen to, it was just rather annoying that such a voice was wasted on her enemy.

Her eyes slowly opened. She was alive, much to her dismay. The light flooding the room was somber, but her eyes hurt for a second while trying to get used to the brightness. She was trapped in a containment field once again, her arms and legs stretching from her in an X-shape. The imposing shape of a man stood before her, in white and electric blue armour. Her leg wound still hurt, especially when it had to carry her weight.

Her eyes blinked slowly, trying to focus. "Foolish Jedi" she replied with a raspy voice. "That was a mistake. Should've killed me when you had the chance."

"Time will tell, Xia Lost."

He turned away, and looked like he was about to leave the room.

Maybe she was dead. Maybe he had killed her, and this was her own, personal Hell. Created just to torment her.

She didn't correct him when he said her name instead of her title. He seemed to get something out of it. He just loved getting under her skin, didn't he?

Unfortunately for him, he'd get the same treatment right back.

"Very true, Master Quelakai" she responded, her voice having a little spice to it. "Oh, forgive me. You aren't a Master, are you?" she tilted her head.

He only grunted in displeasure.

"Didn't think so" she snarled.

Annoyance flared up in his blue eyes. "You're not Dooku's master are you? The one pulling the strings? I assume not?"

"Oh no, I'm not pulling any strings. I'm the one who cuts off the strings." Xia's voice got livid and threatening as she started getting heated in anger. "I killed my Jedi Master. I devoured an ancient Sith Lord, i killed my next Master and adoptive father in cold blood. And you'll die at my hands, too."

The Jedi looked back at her, his lips drawn to a thin line and he scratched his beard. He hesitated for a second, then calmly said: "That's not the truth, is it. If it were, you'd have been happy to kill me when I laid before you, broken and beaten."

Xia's nostrils flared and her mouth opened up to argue, but no words came out.
A little voice of doubt started talking to her.
The Jedi speaks truth.

You could have killed him right then and there, but you didn't.

"Shut up" Xia barked into the room, unsure whether she was talking to the voice or to the General.