Chapter 3

Read the entire book now on
Patreon.com/Bynadine
Or buy on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Beast-Across-Lake-Nadine-Alliye-ebook/dp/B0CNPMPBZD/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1700779153&refinements=p_27%3ANadine++Alliye&s=digital-text&sr=1-6&text=Nadine++Alliye

Don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed :) Updates twice a week, enjoy!

*****

The sun was shining brightly upon the large crowd that had gathered on bleachers outside on the football field. Kyla and I clutched hot dogs and cheese fries as we stumbled through the metal seats. She tripped on an empty can of coke and swore at the person seated nearby.

"Pick up your crap!"

"You pick it up!"

She turned to look at me.

"Let's sit over there, on the second row, so we can put our feet up," my best friend suggested and I agreed.

Over half of the school had shown up to support the first practise for the Eastsound High Marmots. It wasn't very much in general but for a town like this, it was plenty. I breathed in the smell of nacho cheese and cheap hot dogs and realized that I'd missed this the most. The feeling of being a high schooler, and not worrying about if the bills would get paid or not.

We watched the practice which took over an hour. Truth be told, neither of us was very much entertained nor understood the game very much. We were there for our high school sweethearts however. On occasion, either Holden or Matt would pass by close to our seats and proffer a flirty wink or a wave. My heart skipped a beat every time and so did Kyla's who swooned uncontrollably. Flocks of teenage girls nearby stared at us with envy. Where I chose to ignore them, Kyla would roll her eyes and glare.

"Gosh, there isn't anything I wouldn't do for Matt," Kyle stared dreamily as Matt ran past her and held up his fingers to form a heart.

"I feel the same about Holden," I mumbled and forced another french dry down my mouth.

"I'm so scared about college, what if he chooses somewhere far?"

"Would you follow him?" I wondered.

"I think I'd follow him anywhere, but I don't know if my parents would be okay with it. They have a list."

"A list?"

"Of colleges that I can go to, ones that they can afford. Matt's parents are well off, they can afford anything."

"Holden's too. On top of that, he'll most likely be getting a scholarship."

"Fate is cruel my dear friend," Kyla wrapped an arm around me and I sighed and let my head fall on her shoulders.

The practice had ended at around five pm and during this time of the year, the sun had already begun to set. They celebrated Holden as the new team captain by slumming him over the shoulders of Matt and another one of their teammates. They tossed yellow and navy blue confetti whilst Kyla and I cheered amongst the crowed. We all met up in the parking lot where all our cars were parked.