Chapter 25

Read the entire book now on
Patreon.com/Bynadine
Or buy on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Beast-Across-Lake-Nadine-Alliye-ebook/dp/B0CNPMPBZD/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1700779153&refinements=p_27%3ANadine++Alliye&s=digital-text&sr=1-6&text=Nadine++Alliye

Don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed :) Updates twice a week, enjoy

Isabella
The beaming sun announced its presence just a few short hours later through the limpid curtains. I woke up, curled around Caleb's one good arm and was careful not to make noise as I headed down the stairs. I turned on my phone which was futile because for the next half an hour or so, I ignored the constant buzzing and text message 'dings'.
I searched through the contents of Caleb's fridge to find that he did not have anything to make a decent meal. I had wrapped the cup of blood in a brown paper bag and hid it behind a Tupperware container of something that looked moldy. In his cupboards, I was able to find protein powder and oatmeal. I mixed the two with some milk that had two days to expire and set it up on the now clean kitchen island and cut up a banana on top. I chugged a warm coffee and made two more for him and I. In this short moment of bliss and obliviousness to the terrors of the real world, I wondered if it was possible to live this way forever. I was just about ready to head upstairs to wake him but a knock on his door halted me. I wondered who it could have been and even debated whether it be Holden. Whoever it was, this must have been important for them to make the journey across the downhill forest to come here.
I peeked through the curtains to immediately meet the eyes of the sheriff and hurried to unbolt the door.

"Sheriff, hi," I greeted breathlessly, hopeful for good news,"come in."

He seemed more stressed than usual, the frown lines on the sides of his mouth were more apparent and despite the cold, his forehead homed droplets of sweat.

"There's no need for that, this will be quick."

"Alright, what's the matter?" I felt the breeze riding up on my bare legs and into Caleb's oversized t-shirt and shivered.

"What happened to your neck?" he suddenly asked and I felt the urge to hide in my own skin.

"I fell. What's going on?"

He didn't seem convinced.
"Your mom just filed a case with the police that you're missing, but since you're 18 there's nothing that anybody could really do about it."

I crossed my arms.
Crap,I should have texted her back.

"I'll call her right now, it'll be fine-"

"I'm taking you home Izzy. I can't let you stay here."

"Wait, what?" I took a step back.

"You know everything now, and I'm sure by now you've figured out that your a Waru descendant, it's just a matter of time before Aurora figures it out-"

"I'm not leaving, I'm staying with Caleb."

"I can't let that happen. This is my land, Caleb is a visitor. I'm not going to let you risk your life for a lost cause-"

"Lost cause? So you think the rogues won't go for it?" I felt a sinking in my gut.

He let out a sigh as if he hadn't meant to say it.

"Listen, Caleb is a good guy, but he's just one man against an army of hundreds of rogues. They've let him live this long because they couldn't find him, because we've been hiding him here. It's just a matter of time before they do kill him, and they'll take down anyone in their way."