Chapter 23

Read the entire book now on
Patreon.com/Bynadine
Or buy on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Beast-Across-Lake-Nadine-Alliye-ebook/dp/B0CNPMPBZD/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1700779153&refinements=p_27%3ANadine++Alliye&s=digital-text&sr=1-6&text=Nadine++Alliye

Don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed :) Updates twice a week, enjoy

Isabella
There was a long moment of awkward silence and then I finally broke it," so we're mates."

He nodded," yes."

"And the only way for your tribe or-er-our tribe to have a chance is if I were to shift and be like you...."

"Yes."

"I do that by drinking your blood."

"Yes, but I decided last night that I won't be pursuing that plan."

I stiffened slightly," what do you mean?"

"I can't do that to you, I can't subject you to a life of danger for my own benefit."

I thought about what it would be like to turn into a wolf whenever I wanted to.  In combination with the fact that it would keep Caleb alive, it seemed quite inviting, pleasant even.

"I don't mind-"

But Caleb suddenly chuckled," only fate is cruel enough to have my mate be one of the two living Waru's."
He seemed to be speaking to himself.

"Me and my mom," I mumbled anyway," I need to know more, about what's it like to shift but I'll do it if it keeps you alive-"

Caleb was shaking his head as if there was no room for discussion," absolutely not, it would take years for us to repopulate and that would mean subjecting you and your mother to years of danger. The rogues won't stop trying to kill you, it will never work."

"But you're the only shifted Waru left, they will kill you!" I felt the tears flood my vision and Caleb's handsome face was not so clear anymore.

"You're safer like this, they will never know half you're Waru Blood. I won't risk it. Now that I saved you from them, you will only be more on their radar. They will use you to get to me-"

"But if I'm a wolf I won't need you to protect me, I'll protect myself-"

"Rogues don't attack alone, they're usually in groups of three or four, the only reason I was able to fight them off last night is because after my father died, I inherited the Alpha's strength. You're less safe with me around, they know I care about you, they'll try everything to take you away."

"So what are you saying? What now?" I felt hopeless and the thought of losing Caleb felt like I was drowning.

"The sheriff is setting up a meeting with the rogue leader Aurora."

I recognised that name immediately from last night when the three rogues had said it.

"You can't meet with them, they'll kill you," I was practically begging now.

"They can't touch me as long as the other pack is there to protect me, the sheriff promised at least a dozen of his wolves will be there."

I couldn't help but wonder who in Eastsound was secretly a werewolf this entire time.