Chapter 26 - A Mile High

Ashley's POV

Gabe and I hardly talked on the 3 hour flight to Denver. I think he could tell I was really skeptical about going with him. I hadn't told him about the fight between Ryan and I yet. I don't think I was going to either.

I didn't want him to try and make a move if he thought Ryan was out of the picture.

I was still incredibly hurt by that.

I had never seen Ryan like that. He was a completely different person.

Ryan was always so kind and gentle. Quiet, reserved. Loving.

It was scary to see him like that. I didn't know what to expect from him. It was frightening to even think about last night.

I decided to look ahead, rather than behind, and before I knew it, we were in Denver. It was such a beautiful city, especially in the middle of winter.

I looked out the plane window over downtown Denver, and the city was gracefully covered in white powder.

"It's beautiful." I breathed. I heard Gabe chuckle quietly.

"It's a great city. I love it here." Gabe said, smiling as we both looked out over the city.

We had landed shortly after flying over downtown Denver, and I followed Gabe off the plane to pick my bags, as his went back with the team.

"You know, you never told me how we're getting back to your house." I giggled. Gabe seemed a little embarrassed as he laughed it off.

"Oh, sorry. One of my teammates, Erik Johnson, he'll be here in a little bit to drive us back." Gabe said.

"Sounds good." I smiled, slinging my carry on duffle bag over my shoulder. We arrived at the baggage arrival and Gabe spotted my bag, grabbing it off of the conveyor belt and carrying it back towards me.

"Thanks, Gabe." I said, reaching for my bag, making him pull it away from me.

"I'm not gonna let you carry this, it's not very gentlemanly of me." He laughed.

"I can carry it." I smiled, turning a little red.

"I got it." Gabe assured with a smile and a chuckle.

"Fine." I gave in. "Thank you."

"My pleasure."

We waked out to the pickup area just outside the airport, where Gabe and I waited for our ride. After about five minutes, Gabe spotted Erik's car.

"That's him." He smiled. I became nervous. What do I say if he, or anyone else for that matter, asks me why I'm with Gabe? We aren't dating. As far as I know, I'm still with Ryan.

Or at least I think I am.

Regardless, with great tension, I followed Gabe to Erik's car.

"Hey, Lando." Erik greeted Gabe as they convened at the back of the car, putting my luggage in the back, where Gabe's was as well.

"What's up, bud?" Gabe asked Erik. I still hadn't said anything. I just observed from close up.

"Not much. Who's your friend?" Erik asked, turning to me. His smile wasn't anything to try and make one of us uncomfortable. If anything, it was to calm me down. Erik seemed like a friendly person.

"This is Ashley, a friend of mine from Edmonton. Ash, this is Erik Johnson, one of our defensemen." Gabe introduced us.

"It's very nice to meet you." I smiled, extending my hand towards Erik's.