Chapter 10 - Regret

Ryan's POV

My body was numb to everything. I was so depressed. I woke up to something I hadn't been used to. Being alone. I really hurt Ashley last night, and that tore me apart on the inside. I couldn't forgive myself for lying to her, but I was holding out hope that she would.

We had practice in the morning, something I really didn't want. I coaxed myself out of bed and put on my Oilers tee and some sweat pants. I ate a bagel that Taylor had warmed up for me, and I hopped in the back of his truck. November 1st was a cold, rainy day, and it was pretty fitting. I gazed out the window, wondering how Ashley could ever forgive me. It was the lie a 13 year old comes up with to get out of going to school. It was awful, and I only had myself to blame.

Before long, we pulled up to Rexall Place, and we headed back to the locker room to change. When the team took the ice, I felt slow and lethargic. Great, this is probably the beginning of the worst practice of my life. I slowly made my way toward Taylor and Jordan, as we started 3 on 2 drills. Nothing was going my way. God's punishment for lying to Ashley. Pucks were missing my stick, rolling off when I tried to pass, my shots kept hitting the glass. The frustration and anger replaced the sorrow as practice kept getting worse. After I missed the net for what seemed like the hundredth time, Coach Eakins had seen enough.

"Nuge, what is the matter with you? You haven't hit the net once, your passing is just god awful, and you keep fucking up every drill. What is going on?" He questioned. I really had no answer. I wasn't going to tell him how I caused my girlfriend to walk out on me 12 hours ago.

"I'm just having a rough day." I said honestly.

"Well get your shit straight. We have the defending champions coming in tonight, and I don't want to be embarrassed by them. Get back in line, and don't fuck up anymore." He told me firmly.

"Yes, Coach." I said, getting back in line. My frustration hadn't gone away. Another odd man drill, but it was a two on 1. Taylor started with the puck as he bolted up the boards. I quickly made my way through center and got a pass from him at the blue line. I gave it back to him, and he sent it back my way. I took a one timer that whizzed into the glass. Again. I slammed my stick on the boards, being overwhelmed with frustration. Taylor skated up beside me.

"Calm down, bud. Don't make an ass out of yourself. You'll get the next one." He said.

Yea right.

"One more fucking time." I was on the verge of snapping. I was filled with bottled up anger and rage. I was a time bomb ready to be set off at any moment. Taylor and I were up again.

I started and gave it to Taylor quickly, as he took it in and threw me a pass right on the tape. I fired a wrist shot that just missed Coach Eakins' head. At that moment, I snapped. I slammed my stick against the glass, broke it over my knee, and stormed back to the locker room. As I was walking back, I felt a huge knot in my chest. I threw my helmet at my stall, seeing my visor shatter. I collapsed on the bench and buried my head in my hands. The knot got bigger as Taylor walked in.

"Are you alright?" He asked. What a dumb question. Am I alright? I just snapped in front of my team and stormed off like a little kid who didn't get his way. Of course not. I just looked at him, my face red with anger. I felt like I was going to break down any minute.

"Umm, I'm just gonna head back out, I suggest you do the same." He said. He didn't move, he just stood there and stared.

"Well then go." I told him. He shook his head and went back out. I began taking my stuff off quickly to try and leave before everyone got back, but then I realized we took Taylor's truck. Great. I was probably going to have to explain my episode to the team, something I didn't want to do. I showered quickly and put my clothes back on, and heard voices in the hallway.