Chapter 31 - Crossing the Line

February 15th

Ryan's POV

I pulled up to driveway just outside the cabin. I grabbed my skates and a stick from the back and headed out towards the pond, which hand been completely frozen over. I sat on the edge of the dock and laced up my skates, taking in the scenery. 

It was a truly striking place. The trees had now lost their leaves and had been replaced by pockets of snow throughout the wooded area that surrounded the cabin. I had never really come up here during the winter, it was more of a summer place. 

I stepped out onto the frozen surface and began taking a few laps around the pond to get the blood going. I grabbed a few pucks and stick handled around the pond for a little bit, just enjoying the solitude. 

Hell, I was already used to it, and it's only been a day. 

I just continued skating around until I was a little fatigued, and sat back down at the edge of the dock. Just pondering where everything took a nosedive, to now. 

My thoughts were interrupted by hearing a car door shut in the driveway. I saw Taylor get out, but he hadn't see me. 

I turned my back to him and looked out over the pond as I could hear his footsteps approaching the dock. 

"Well, well, well, everyone's favorite walking, living, breathing cliche. I admit, this is pretty impressive, but this isn't a movie, Ryan." He said, thinking I was ignoring him for dramatic effect. 

"Why are you here?" I asked, curious to how he even knew I was here. 

"Figured you had come here, and you're lucky too. If I drove 3 hours to come here and not find you, I would have killed you the next time I saw you." He laughed. 

"Who sent you?" 

"Natalie. She told me to go and find you because she was worried." He explained. 

"Wow, I'm surprised you were even listening to her, let alone following through." I jabbed. 

"Funny, now let's go, I'm exhausted and we have a game tomorrow." 

"Really? You're only gonna stay for five minutes?" 

"You plan on cooking?" He asked. 

"I was going to head in before you came." I told him. 

"Fine, we'll have a quick dinner, and then we'll leave, we have to be at the rink early tomorrow." 

"Fair enough." I said, finally turning around to face him. 

"I'll be inside, hurry up." 

I took my skates off and headed back inside and began prepping a quick dinner. Taylor and I had sat down after about ten minutes and began eating. 

"So, what exactly happened last night, because I am so lost. All I know is that Nat had said it was pretty bad, she had talked to Ashley afterwards." 

"I'm not gonna talk about it." I said, sternly. 

"Why not?" 

"I'd just prefer to forget about her and move on. She isn't worth thinking about anymore." 

"Are you sure about that, Nuge?" 

"I pretty much have my mind made up, Taylor." 

"Well, maybe I can try and change your mind when we get back."

"Whatever you say. Chances are it isn't going to work." I told him. 

"Just let me ask you this, do you have any physical proof that she did what you think she did?"