8. Dracarys

'Ser Criston Cole will now tilt against Ser Daemon Targaryen, Prince of the City!' they declared and the crowd broke out in cheers as the competitors got ready. Vaera sat down in her fathers seat Harwin kept a soothing hand on her shoulder as she slumped nervously in her chair. Today was supposed to be happy and now she was worried, so worried about her mother.

"Hey," Harwin said grabbing at Vaera's hand. "Don't hurt yourself." He remarked she was picking nervously at her nails, her cuticle bleeding slightly. He kissed her cheek holding tight to her hand.

"She's going to be okay right?" Vaera questioned.

'Viserys.' Aemma questioned in a hazy state.

'Yes?' she looked to him confused as they started to hold her down. ''They're going to bring the babe out now.'

'Mm.' she didn't understand.

'I love you.'

'Ooh.' Her moans and screams amplified. 'What is happening?'

'No, it's all right.' Viserys assured

'No... what is happening? Viserys, what...' Aemma struggled under their tight hold.

'No, it's all right.' Viserys assured.

'Wh-what are you doing?'

'They're going to bring the babe out.' Viserys told her again.

'How are they...'

'It's all right.' He kept repeating trying to convince himself the same thing.

'Viserys, please.'

'It's all right.'

'No, I'm scared. Not in...'

'Don't be scared.' Viserys told her.

'What is happening?'

'Don't be scared. They're going to bring the babe out.' He repeated again and again

'Oh no.' she started to scream as they began to cut into her.

'It's all right. They're going to bring the babe out. '

'No! No! No!' Aemma shouted screaming and gripping at Viserys pleading with him but he wouldn't listen.

'I'm making the first incision.'

'No, no, no! Viserys, no! Please! No, no, no!' she screamed and shouted thrashing in their hold.

'Don't be scared.'

+

'Sword!' Daemon demanded.

"Oh boy, here we go." Vaera said tipping her head back into Harwin.

'Prince Daemon Targaryen wishes to continue in a contest of arms!' Master of revels declared to the crowd as they started a hand to hand, sword to sword duel. The men grunted as they shuffled around the sandy ground, the crowds cheering echoing with the clattering of their swords.

'Yield. Yield.' Daemon said calmly, he was on his back, Cole's sword pointed down at him but Daemon just chuckled.

'Gods. He's Dornish.'

'I was hoping to ask for the Princess's favor.' Criston said coming up to the viewing box, Rhaenyra smiled down at him. "Princess Vaera." He clarified and Harwin nudged her forward.

"Me?" Vaera questioned

"Happy name day princess." Criston told her.

"Thank you ser Cirston." Vaera said dropping her flower crown down. 'I wish you luck, Ser Criston.'

'Thank you, Princess.' He replied with a charming smile, Vaera watched him go, Rhaenyra slumped back in her seat. Vaera always got everything. 

+

'Congratulations, Your Grace. You have a son.' Mellos said as the baby was delivered. The baby started to cry.

'It's a boy?' Viserys said happily

'A new heir, Your Grace.' Mellos confirmed 'Had you and the Queen chosen a name?'

'Baelon.' Viserys said happily but the baby didn't survive.

+

They stood silently as the wind whipped around them and the waves crashed against the shores. Vaera stared at her mother and brother. Dead. Waiting to be burned. She stared at her father, tears in his eyes as a sob left his lips he did this. He killed them both with his choices. But if the baby had been breached there was no safe way of getting the child out, odds are they both would have died no matter what Viserys chose to do. But still he felt awful, he left his girls without a mother.

Vaera looked up at him with the saddest of eyes. On her name day of all days, to have this memory tied to. he held her to him as he let out a shaky breath.

'They're waiting for you.' Daemon remarked looking to Rhaenyra.

'D...' Rhaenyra began and Syrax gave a low growl from the top of the hill. Rhaenyra put an arm on her father easing him and Vaera back as she spoke louder, her voice breaking as she spoke.

'Dracarys.' Syrax climbed down and in a blazing heat of dragon fire burned Baelon and Aemma. With heavy breaths they watched them burn. Vaera couldnt look she turned burying her face into Viserys, he felt her hot tears on him as she sobbed.