16. In My Mouth

'Well, isn't this splendid. The whole of our family off to celebration and adventure in the Kings wood.' Viserys remarked looking around the carriage. "Vaera please stop picking at your teeth." Viserys said swatting her hand from her mouth.

"I ate corn at his first party and I got a kernel stuck," Vaera informed him, a finger in her mouth making her words muffled, Viserys rolled his eyes handing her a jug of wine.

"Wash it down and stop putting your fingers in your mouth." Viserys requested kindly as she took to jug.

"There are far worse things to put in my mouth." Vaera remarked softly.

"What's that?" Viserys questioned and Rhaenyra stared back at her sister a laugh on her lips.

"Yes sister, pray tell." Rhaenyra mused. Vaera turned her head silently and looked out the window though.

"My sweet girl." Viserys kissed her head before looking across the carriage to Aegon.

'Should you be traveling in such condition?' Rhaenyra questioned through tight lips.

'The maester said that being out in nature would do me well.' Alicent said but in truth she didn't like the journey it made her feel uneasy. Vaera ran her tongue over her teeth uselessly.

'Well, you will be with your own child sooner than late, and make me a proud grand sire.' Viserys said happily but he knew Vaera would likely make him a grand sire before Rhaenyra. Rhaenyra had no interest in men, in anyone it seemed.

'It's not so bad. The days are long, but Aegon came quickly and without fuss.' Alicent remarked but Rhaenyra held nothing but bitter resentment for her once friend.

"Oh I'm sure." Vaera agreed sarcastically. "The amount of screaming I heard coming from your chambers when you delivered Aegon said otherwise though." She added and Rhaenyra smiled smugly back at Vaera. "Fuck yes.' She declared.

"Vaera." Viserys hissed as she spit out the window.

"I got it." Vaera told him facing forward. "The kernel, keep up father," Vaera said innocently. Rhaenyra would be reprimanded for cussing but Vaera just got a smile and a pat on the knee for her more unladylike qualities. It would be irritating if Vaera wasn't her best and closest friend in the world.

'You should ride out with me today. Join in the chase.' Viserys offered, Vaera snorted a laugh.

'I'd rather not. The boars squeal like children when they're being slaughtered. I find it discomforting'. Rhaenyra said looking out the window, Vaera nodded in agreement.

'It's a hunt, Rhaenyra.' Viserys reminded her trying to keep a smile on his face as Aegon babbled happily. 'How would you like to participate?' Viserys pondered looking between Vaera and Rhaenyra.

"Eating, lots of food, not corn but everything else. That is how I shall contribute." Vaera informed him.

'I'm not sure why I must.' Rhaenyra countered.

'Because you are my daughter... The Princess. And you have duties.' Viserys reminded her. "You both do." He looked to Vaera.

"You see this smile?" Vaera pointed at her face. "I am being pleasant, now that my tooth doesn't feel like a hostage to corn.' She grumbled.

"You two will present yourselves as the princesses, I know Vaera will do her part, she always does. You are my heir Rhaenyra, you will do your part as well." Viserys told them.

'As I am ceaselessly reminded.' Rhaenyra murmured softly.

'I'm sorry?' Viserys questioned leaning towards her.

'As I am ceaselessly reminded.' Rhaenyra shouted back at him.

'You wouldn't need to be reminded if you ever attended to them.' he reminded her.

'No one's here for me.' Rhaenyra told him bitterly.

As they stepped out of the carriage they crowd cheered for their prince.

'Hail, hail Aegon, the Conqueror-Babe, Second of His Name! Here's to His Grace on his second name day!' the crowd continued to cheer as Aegon was lifted up.

"I'm here for you." Vaera reminded her, grabbing Rhaenyra's hand as they headed inside. Inside the celebration Rhaenyra felt just as out of place as she walked the crowd. Vaera was used to putting on a show, she wondered if one day she would be rebellious like Rhaenyra or if she would always try to please everyone but herself.