ONE

K E E Y A

I continued to sit in my car with one foot outside on the asphalt of the parking lot below as I waited for Jerome. The exhaustion from my drive from down south to here up west was still sitting heavily in me, and despite my years of running security at different clubs my body still didn't like working off a few hours of sleep.

A heavy burst of wind traveled through my open car door to increase the smell of the marijuana I was busy grinding in my grinder. It was all I was looking forward to, I was gonna head back to my new spot, smoke sum, and then head to bed.

My furniture wasn't getting here until the weekend so I was spending my first night on the floor, which wasn't much problem for me since I slept in worse places before—life made sure of it.

A gentle knocking on my window had me looking over to see Jerome now standing by my front passenger door, and the sight had me lifting a hand to unlock it so he could open the door and get in.

"I'm hungry," He announced immediately as he entered and I smiled at his confession since food was our glue, it was the shit that built our friendship all those years back, that and...a friend.

"You know the west better than I do, so where you tryna go?" I asked him as I returned my leg to the inside of the car before closing the door as he did the same.

"Didn't you grow up here?"

"Yeah, but I ain't been back since high school," I reminded him as I placed my grinder between my legs before starting up my car, enjoying the rumble of power it let out in a grumble.

"I know a Jamaican spot not too far up from here,"

"How far is not too far up cause I'm a minute away from passing out right now," I told him as I placed my car into drive with one hand while the other remained on the wheel, assisting my act of pulling out of my parking spot.

"You would still have energy if you let me drive a little on the way over," He pointed out and I snickered at that since we both knew I was the only one who drove my car. A 1983 Negus Challenger, all black outside with dark brown leather seats on the inside with black accents. This car been around longer than friends and even family. I rebuilt it from scratch which took most the money out of my pockets, but I didn't regret it.

Some things were worth investing in.

"Where we going?" I asked him with a flicker of my indicator on as I pulled out of the parking lot and onto the empty road.

"Uhm, you know, ah that barber shop I showed you earlier, it's a block up from that," He expressed and I nodded as I reached over and sent up the windows while continuing to drive.

"Aitte,"

"You ain't roll up yet?"

"Naw, I'm waiting until I get home," I told him, as I turned on the A/C while pushing back a yawn.

"You nursing the bag of weed huh?"

"Yeah, you know I ain't got a plug out here yet," I reminded him and the mere admission had me growing irritated at the fact. "I got to stretch this until I get sumn,"

"All baby blunts," He mumbled amusedly, earning a smile from me.

"You sure this spot still open?"

"Yeah, they keeping some sort of party, it's rented out for the night by a friend of mine,"

"A friend?" I repeated, in a silent ask for him to elaborate.

"Loyal he—you know, he probably know where you can get sum,"

"Tonight?" I asked him hopefully as I shifted my attention onto his newly given information.

"Ion know," He answered, laughing. "We can see tho,"

"Mmh," I hummed, sending slightly prayers that I could get sumn tonight since I needed at least one joint a day to stay sane. The sudden move was already weighing on me, and I knew me settling in here was bound to come with more shit. I built a real good life down south, but ever since Abdu got locked up and Tyrone started running shit...

Shit.

I had to move, but I didn't want to. It felt like life just clicked the restart button and I was thrown back into this period of rebuilding. I didn't like the unknown, I like when things were placed before me, naked, vulnerable—straight forward. I liked knowing. I liked the honesty of comfortability, and I didn't have that no more...

Instead I had new beginnings I didn't ask for.

"I might buy extra for lunch," Jerome mumbled more to himself and I glanced over to find him scrolling through his phone.

"Aye, what did Mr Clive say to you?" I asked him as the reason I was waiting suddenly flashed back into my mind.

"He was showing me the private rooms, he said he already showed you around,"

"Sumn like that, he told me where everything was, he didn't quite show me,"

"It's a lot different from the last club," He announced as I took a left turn, drifting further into discomfort.

-

PEACE AND BLESSINGS,
THANKS FOR READING,
HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE CHAPTER.