Ch. 8 || Bonfire Conspiracies

Dad jumped at the chance of not having to cook dinner, apparently going from cooking for one to three every night was harder than he expected

Dad jumped at the chance of not having to cook dinner, apparently going from cooking for one to three every night was harder than he expected. And, as always, Bella was just along for the ride.

"So, Giovanna." I looked up from my history textbook which I had fished out of my bag, so far it had only added to my boredom rather than curing it. "What's up with you and Paul? I know it sounds nosey but I couldn't help seeing you two smiling at each other when we were all out there." Thankfully Seth sat on the floor at Leah's feet, just out of Jacob's earshot.

Leah spoke up before I could, "You're right Seth, it does sound nosey. Get a girlfriend before meddling in other people's relationships."

"I didn't meddle in you and Sam's."

"But you sure love talking about it."

"I'm not in a relationship with Paul. We just started off on the wrong foot and I'm trying to be nicer," I cut between their bickering.

"Being nice to them doesn't do shit," Jacob's voice sliced through the air in the shed, halting our conversation. "You better not be serious about that Gia. They're assholes, Paul's only being nice to you so he can get in your pants."

I was seriously reconsidering staying for the bonfire. "Excuse you, Jacob. From what I've gathered you don't know a lot about him either, you're just upset because you don't have the balls to stand up for yourself against him. So don't start making comments about who's trying to get into my pants. It's disgusting and offensive that you think the only reason a guy would ever get to know me is so he could bang me."

Everyone's eyes were focused on me and Jacob. "He's a notorious player around here, you forget you're the new girl in town. You think you know everything and get offended when anyone corrects you about anything, just know that when you're knocked up and heartbroken don't come crying to me."

"Come on Gia." Leah took my hand and stood up from the couch. "Let's go help set up the food tables outside."

"Okay." As Leah led me out of the shed I felt my anger rise. Who was he to say that about me, and why did she take me out of there so quickly? "Why'd you help me?" Leah and I were eagerly accepted to the table arranging group, almost every family in the tribe had brought multiple dishes some even brought their grills to keep cooking steaks, burgers and hotdogs. There was a lot of work to get done.

"You're one of my dad's best friends daughter, and what Jacob said back there was stupid. Personally, I think you were both overreacting just a little, but he definitely could've told you about all that in private," she remarked.

"Yeah," I sighed, sitting a heavy pot of venison stew on the table. "I just feel like every relationship I've been in after my accident has always been a joke to the guy. Even while I was in homeschool I managed three boyfriends. All of which used me as a joke to their entire schools."