Chapter Four - The Calling

Two years later...

"Ah," I hissed in pain, flinching away as the wires burnt my fingers.

"Are you alright?" Mando asked me, yelling slightly. He was in the cockpit.

"Peachy!" I yelled back. "Just burnt my kriffing hand!"

I was in the grates below the ship, doing what I could to fix the leak in the fuel. Who, in their right mind puts the fuel cannisters beside the hyperdrive unit? It could spark at any moment.

"This ship is older than I am," I muttered, securing the makeshift patch I had made. I pushed against the piece of metal I had screwed to the tank. It didn't fall off.

I knew how to repair ships. I knew how to do it properly, and I knew how to do it badly. This was definitely a bad patch up job, but it would have to do until I got some parts at the next stop.

Taking hold of the edges of the grate, I gracefully pulled myself up onto the main level of the ship. Mando was waiting in the corridor, leaned against the cool walls of the Razor Crest.

"I still have no idea how you do that," he commented.

"The Force, Mando," I told him, pulling the grate back over the mechanics underneath and turning to him. I made past the Mandalorian for the cockpit. "I've told you this."

"Your Jedi stuff still doesn't make sense to me," he replied.

I turned the corner, continuing forward and slumping back into the pilot's seat. Mando followed, silently seating as co-pilot. He was usually the one that sat in the pilot's seat and although he had argued with me about it at the beginning, he didn't seem to care anymore.

"Did you find the letter?" he asked.

Knitting my eyebrows together in confusion, I turned to look at him. "What?"

"Before you were interrupted by the pilot, you were looking for a letter," he reminded me. "Did you find it?"

"What's it to you?" I asked, my tone rather snotty.

"Nothing," he answered. "Forget I asked." He moved to leave.

"Let's just say I never leave home without it."

"You were running from home when I stumbled across you."

"You did no such thing sir," I replied accusingly. Mando laughed. "I ran after you because I needed a ship. If I hadn't done that, you would have never been graced with my wonderful presence."

"I wouldn't call it wonderful," he muttered.

I gasped dramatically. "How dare you?"

One of the lights above me flickered and I turned my eyes upwards, thoughts of the conversation gone. "Hyperdrive's working," I told Mando, turning in the chair and reaching for the handle. "Coordinates in?"

"Inputted them when the pilot was talking my ear off," he grunted.

I smiled. "The New Republic are diplomats," I told him.

"You aren't," he commented.

"I used to hold negotiations. They needed convincing, I was your woman."

"So why aren't you doing that anymore?" Mando questioned.

"Negotiations were always a little short."

"You were bad with people?"

"My temper is as short as negotiations."

With that, I pushed forward on the handle, feeling the gently push of the ship as we jumped into hyperspeed.