𝐢𝐯. dreaming dragons to life

❝and I am the fire and I am the forrest,

and I am a witness watching it❞

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

Night came but Visenya could not find sleep. Every time she closed her eyes, they burnt like flames were licking them from the inside. The tips of her fingers seemed to burn hot under her sheets until the warmth spread through her entire body until she needed to seek the relief of the cool ocean air.

Slipping on her day clothes, she opened her door with a flourish finding someone already there. Their hand raised to knock.

"Aemond? What are you doing awake?" 

"I could ask you the same thing." Aemond said, raising his eyebrow before remembering why he had come. "Will you come with me? To the beach?"

"You wish to claim Vhagar." Visenya said, the expression on her face unchanging as the boys eyes widened considerably.

"How did you-"

"You were watching her on the beach all day, Aemond." Visenya said as though it was obvious, stepping out of her bedroom and shutting the door quietly behind her. "I understand, I'll come with you."

Aemond shot her one of his half-smiles that he reserved only for her and the two made their way out of the castle. The winds were fierce as they reached the beaches, sand flying like knives onto their skin. Visenya, who had no covering and winced as they walked at the sad. Her companion noticed this and slipped off his own cloak and threw it around her shoulders, accompanied by much protesting from the girl.

Climbing up a dune, they came to see the resting Vhagor. Larger than life and so morbidly melancholic in the mourning of her lost rider.

"You must leave me now, 'Enya." Aemond said, not tearing his eyes from the dragon s he spoke to his friend. "This may be the end for me but I won't let it be the end for you, mother was right I get you into too much trouble."

"This is not the end, Aemond." Visenya said with a small laugh, pressing a kiss to his cheek. "It's the beginning."

As Visenya walked away down the beach to await Aemond's return, she didn't see the blush that appeared on his cheeks.

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

The beaches of Driftmark were nothing special and so Visenya found herself retreating into her mind once more. The burning of her skin had not gone away and it was becoming irritating as she continued on her walk, growing hotter and hotter under her clothes.

She heard a cry above her and Vhagar flew over the beach. Visenya let a smile escape her lips, she was right. He'd done it.

But then a different cry rang out across the beach, a musical cry. One of longing, of desperation just as she felt every night when the same dragon flew across her mind into her dreams.

And it came from the sea.

Without hesitation Visenya ran towards the ocean, kicking up sand as went with such a need in her soul for this dragon. She stopped just at the water and could feel the waves soaking her shoes. Her breath left her as she saw a shadow block the moon's light on the water. Closing her eyes, she heard the gentle thrum of beating wings and could feel the wind change.

Her dragon was here.

She opened her violet eyes into the flaming red eyes of Balerion, the black dread.

The great beast hovered before her so his face was in line with hers, the water beneath his wings so disturbed that it seemed to create a mist of water around them. There was none of the malice in Balerion's eyes like the history books wrote, just contentment and relief. He had found his rider after so many years alone.