Chapter 9 "Her Condition"

"I wanna know what's her condition," Jaime demanded, crossing her arms on her chest, holding herself but eager to know the details. She started to get pissed, taking some time to wait for her to know, showing irritable behavior towards the staff she encountered. 

"Look, I admire your sympathy, Doctor, with the Fergusons in this town. We knew who they are, and I felt sorry to be this rude but spit it out. I am capable to handle this," she added. The doctor looks back and forth between the patient lying in the hospital bed unconscious and Jaime showing her side of behavior.

"Coma, Mrs. Ferguson," he said, clearing his throat so much that he almost choked the word even listening.

"Wait a minute," Jaime said.

"I'm so sorry to tell her condition like this, Mrs. Ferguson; it's the overall condition. We are truly sorry. We wish those results were not true, but they aren't," the doctor explained and paused himself.

"What did you say?" Jaime asked, processing what she heard.

"Please tell me..." she added. Tears start racing down her cheeks, choosing to wipe them, composing herself to pay attention to what he says.

"Will she be able to wake up?" she added.

"Her status is in coma; we only based it on her few more tests. We are monitoring her condition from time to time as possible. I'm so sorry, Mrs. Ferguson. We were doing our best in our job and to have more tests and scans, checking if there's bleeding inside her head just to make sure her pulse is stable except she's unconscious and those life machine support," the doctor says, holding her left shoulder and showing his sympathy.

"Oh god..." covering her mouth, her hands are shaking.

"I tried to remember that moment she let me run as fast as I could.. and... shes there. Tara was stuck on the driver's seat where the side endures the impact as well as the other vehicle nearby," Jaime added in tears, recalling.

"We also talked to the other patients as well; they also witnessed what happened. They all said the same statement, and it happened very quick. It was sudden, out of nowhere on the busy street, and I am so sorry for this incident. Every family involved this, including yours," he said.

"Mrs. Jaime Ferguson, Miss Otara, will be transferred to another room; we need to accommodate her well. Fergusons are one of the founders in this hospital, as our head discussed to me earlier this morning whose outpatient's. I am here to inform about her condition and the room transfer as well," he explained.

"Again, I'm so sorry for what happened, Mrs. Ferguson. The nurse and other staff will assist you to check on your bruises if you wanted and needed to have you scanned; we can provide as well. Please excuse me; I needed to check other patients, including doing my rounds," he added.

"Thank you," she whispers, holding Tara's hand, laying in the hospital bed unconscious with those life supports placed.

* * *

"Hello Jaime, how are you? How's everything?" he said, worryingly.

"Thank you, Walter; I'm all good, she said bluntly.

"Injuries?" he asked.

"I gathered those so you could have everything you need; it's all in the bag, and here's a coffee for you; it might lighten you up," he said, placing the coffee in front of Jaime.

"If you like, baby sister, I can book you a hotel nearby so you could rest properly, and I'll be here to look for just a couple of hours just to make sure you have enough rest," he offered.

"Thank you for being here, including the offer; it's very kind and generous of you, but I'll let you know when I need it, but as of now I'll be here by her side in case she wakes up," she says, sipping her famous brand of coffee.

"Well, this room is like a hotel too, not bad; it seemed luxurious and relaxing," he teased, smiling.

"Walter" Jaime mentions his name, stopping him.

"Woops.. sorry, I forgot you married one of the Fergusons, duh." He rolled his eyes to lighten the room for her sister.

"It's fine, I'm used to and who she is." Her world has been my world since the day we got married.

"Jaime, baby sister, hey, tell me what exactly happened; it's everywhere; it's on TV, in the newspaper, or even on the internet. I wanna know trying to connect the dots in my head," he explains.

"We were so happy that day; it's our doctor's appointment. We went to the clinic, and no, don't panic. We were both healthy. We were just trying to—"" she motioned herself to have a baby bump on her belly.

"Oh, wow! Okay, ohh... at the clinic. Oh, I get it, it's secret, but it'll be safe with me. Don't worry, baby, sis," he acted, his lip locked.

"And after the procedure and all the process we've been through. We have a simple dinner date, just normal things, going to a restaurant to have some food and wine just to celebrate another milestone on our marriage, even if it took forever to understand the process and completion of what the doctor was discussing," Jaime said, smiling and recalling again those moments with her.

"So what happens next? he said, grabbing his seat to be closed.

"Uh? After that, we headed home after the unplanned dinner, and—"" Jaime wiped the tears.

"And?" he paused, waiting.

"As we all wait for the green light, there's this huge truck, yanking its horn, driving fast towards us—I mean, on her side, along with the other cars who were stuck in the traffic at that time." Jaime is trying to recall the incident in details.

"It seemed the truck driver lost control because it sounds like he knew something was wrong with the truck; that's on the news," he said.

"That's what I've thought—whose to blame, right?" Jaime almost whispered in dismay.

"Tara instructed me to go run as fast as I could while she struggled with her seat belt at that time. I wanted to go to help her, but she pushed me enough for me to run as fast as I could," Jaime added, taking a glimpse of her hospital bed with life support machine sound in the background.

"Damn, she owns a very expensive car but a malfunctioning seat belt," he added, questioning.

"No, it's just too fast, Walter, and I saw she go panic too and have no time to escape; she prioritized me and let me run, and I saw her eyes; she struggles like something is stuck in there," she said.

"If I am in that situation, I will freeze to death too, that huge truck god.. I cannot imagine myself. Your wife is so lucky to have survived the impact and the few other drivers as well on that side, and those bags shielded her the impact. Good to have a very expensive car, eh?" he teases, making the conversation light.

"She survived, but coma; her head was hit by those pieces of the truck on the impact, and yes, those bags saved her," Jaime added.

"Hey, I'm sorry to cut these short, but I need to go call me if you need me. I need to pick up the kids at school," he said, hugging and kissing her sister on her head for goodbye.

* * *

Looking at the door slowly closing, she gently sipped her coffee and sat near the hospital bed. Noticing a tear falling on the left side of Tara's eyes. Jaime immediately hugged Tara in tears. Seeing her helplessly with all the life support machines connected.

"I know, baby, I know... I know you can hear me... I am okay... I am okay just bruises, but I'll be fine healing... I'm here okay," she said lovingly, tears also falling. The machine is still gently doing its job; rest assured, she is okay.

"Thank you, Tara...but please stay with me, okay?" she said, wiping those tears from Tara's face.

Note: (unedited)

catching things up!
Please be reminded of some errors you may encounter.

Enjoy the rest of the week! ^^