Chapter 16 " a little ride "

A week has passed, and Tara is more responsive to Jaime, like her hands can gently grip on her. Gaining her strength back starts on her reflexes. Every day Jaime guided her hand to her bare belly, feeling the warmth of the skin as an early bonding to start their day, creating a special bond considering her condition for the moment on some level they only both understood.

"Mummy's are excited to see you too, baby..."

Jaime said slightly leaning whispers to her belly while holding Tara's hand, smiling that sometimes Tara makes the slightest pull to Jaime if she wants something.

"Hmm... I got two babies, one big and one small." Jaime giggles at the same time, pinching on Tara's cheeks while she's smiling at Jaime.

Early bonding between Tara's hand stroking her belly gently and Jaime silently observing her every little move makes her joy seeing it.

"Take care always, babe. You had a prescious cargo inside," Tara said, gently looking at her, then her hands resting on her belly.

"Yes, I do," Jaime replied in giggles while feeding Tara a little slice of apple, brushing her lips on her thumb and staring.

"What's the matter, Jaime?" Tara paused.

"Just a nostalgia," she replied, staring back at her.

"of...?"

"Staring those empty emotionless eyes of yours," Jaime stroked her hair and tucked in on her ears as she described.

"Come here closer, babe, gently," Tara said, being cautious and looking at the pregnant woman.

"I'm always worried watching you and our baby; I can't help you while I'm here laying in this bed, and that makes me pissed off," Tara whispers. Jaime looks at her smiling, leaning down, and presses her lips next to hers.

"I know.. it's cute... staring you like this with those empty eyes of yours." Jaime smiles, looking closer at her.

"It sounds weird, Jaime, but you bring joy to my soul.. even if it's not shown or expressed..I tried to connect my feelings ever since." Tara fiddled her thumb through her cheeks.

"Shh.. I know.. I know we were working here as a team, are we? And don't be too worried and piss yourself off; don't be too hard because life is already hard and the baby is fine; she's safe inside. I understand you're trying to protect us, but please don't be overprotective, hmm?" Jaime explains. She understands Tara. The way her face expresses too much of the slightest trauma she had starts freaking her out one of the doctors's discussions with her, and now she's experiencing it.

"We were safe, and the baby..." Jaime added, giving her the assurance not to be worried.

"I wanted to walk Jaime, so I could open doors for you and drive you to the hospital for a checkup, making meals, and taking care of the house and you, especially even if it's so weird I may sound," Tara said, being emotional.

"Yes, you will, babe.. one day soon, so now have some rest, gather your strength, and make yourself strong again," Jaime said, smiling and pinching her nose.

"And I have a request," she whispered in Tara's ear.

"What is it?" she asks, looking clueless.

"So you can carry me like a bride again." Jaime said, being playful towards her.

* * *

A gentle knock caught Jaime's attention; she immediately covered her belly in her dress, looking forward to whom she was knocking.

"Good morning, Mrs. Ferguson. I'm sorry for interrupting your privacy to you and your wife. We are here to completely remove the other monitoring machines on the patients as we advised," the doctor said.

"Mrs. Ferguson, this way, please don't worry, we were only doing our job," the nurse assisted her back to her little room, where she spends most of her time.

"Wait here, Mrs. Ferguson; it'll be quick," the nurse assured her.

Jaime checking the time on the phone had several messages that, by looking at them, she didn't have a plan to respond, refraining herself from dealing with these people at the moment. Except her assistant in her studio.

"Mrs. Ferguson, we're leaving..." a voice interrupts her series of thoughts.

"Thank you," she replied. Almost thirty minutes passed as she checked her phone, rolling her eyes in frustration, missing Tara.

"Mrs. Ferguson, I have a few concerns. Do you have a minute?"

"Yes, what is it?"

"I have several concerns, Mrs. Ferguson; it may take a while before she completely recovers. We have some tests and scans, so I advised don't overwhelm her with much stress as we see your being pregnant; just give her space and explain how you felt," the doctor's discussed.

"What does that mean?" Jaime is listening.

"Patients having a coma is not easy to handle with; we can't predict how the brain works, but we only observe how they behave and how those brains respond. We were doing our job as best as we can working with the other two specialists on the brain. Several tests were done observing how she responds to small things, if she had a memory lost or anything hard of recognizing someone or so, and please be patient with her. As much as possible, we don't let her get overwhelmed," he added.

"I have to go see you around Mrs. Ferguson; excuse me," he said immediately.

* * *

For the first time, seeing her wife Tara peacefully sleeping on her hospital bed without those machines connected to her. Jaime felt something have lifted on her chest for a very long time. Knowing she can now see her wife without worrying that anytime those machines can sometimes get weird signals telling somethings wrong with her.

Watching her wife across the room, she now remembers what she discovered in the hallway. Reasons Jaime passed out; hold those ideas, but she brushes them off, deciding to wait until her wife's confession in front of her. This time Jaime needed to focus on the recovery of her wife and her pregnancy. Jaime had enough on her plate—that was too much to handle as a pregnant woman, but instead she's willing to try wearing those faces, pretending that everything is okay.

Jiame walks near Tara, checking if she's awake. Surprisingly, she looks at Jaime coming closer to her.

"Hi...good morning, how's your sleep?" she asked.

Tara responded only with a smile from her reaching on Jaime's hand and never fails to hold her closer. Sitting beside, allowing Tara to hold her belly again with a smile on her face. A routine every morning, the silence between those simple glimpses and touches is the new communication to them. The doctors explain why in these moments she's processing everything, and Tara is taking her time as well as Jaime's on her.

Jaime had given the assurance that any moment she will be able to gain back her strength and communicate like nothing happened, as per the doctor's advice not to overwhelm the patient.

A knock on the door that was slightly open, they waited for someone who may appear but was hospital staff.

"Hi... Good morning, Mrs. Ferguson. Today is your appointment for a prenatal checkup," said the staff, wearing a smile.

"Hello, good morning, okay, give me a second. I'll pick up a few things to carry with me," she replied immediately, leaving Tara laying beside her.

"Why so early, Miss?" Tara said for the first time.

"Mrs. Ferguson, pick the schedule; excuse me, I'll have her wheelchair first," the staff replied. Jaime didn't hear her wife's complaint.

"Mrs. Ferguson, are you ready?" the staff said, having the wheelchair in front of her.

"She looks like she's having a ride," Tara whispers.

"Hey baby, I'll be right back, okay?" she kissed Tara's forehead and ended up pressing her lips next to her, then she sat on the wheelchair while the staff patiently waited.

Enjoy reading! More chapters to go! xx
consider errors