Chapter Two

"When my mother left my father, she didn't tell him she was leaving and taking me with her until we'd landed on the other side of the country. In those days, it was called family troubles. Today it'd be called kidnapping. You think that true love is the only thing that can crush your heart. The thing that will take your life and light it up or destroy it. Then you become a mother" 

"but now the leaves are turning, where did i go wrong?"

"She was pinned under her car, her leg was amputated in a pit of dirt, her abdomen is pulp, and her pelvis is probably crushed", Bailey explained the Gunther to the fifth year residents. "You will work together to assess her injuries and repair them". "In the OR?" April asked.

"No, at the Jiffy Lube. Yes, in the OR. Now, Dr Torres will supervise your work. If you're killing her, she will step in. Otherwise, you're on your own. Don't screw this up like you screwed everything else up you've touched lately".

Bailey went into the trauma room where people were working on the Gunther. "Ladies and gentlemen, step away from this patient", she ordered. The residents rushed into the room, talking over each other.

"It's an open book pelvic fracture", Jackson concluded, looking at the scans. "And a comminuted femur fracture", Lucy added. "Has anyone fully examined the stump?" "Pneumopericardium and an enlarged cardiac shadow", Cristina said. "She needs a chest tube and a CT". "Free fluid. She needs the OR", Alex said. "An embolization and angio would help stabilise the pelvic bleeding", April said.

"An angio's just gonna waste time"

"We could pack her in the OR", Jackson said.

"Call the OR, tell them to prep for an emergent laparotomy"

"Ok, look, I think what we need to do is we just need to take a moment...", April began. "April, you're chief resident, not chief of surgery", Jackson snapped. "Will somebody call the OR?" Alex asked. "No, because she needs a CT to assess her cardiac injuries", Cristina replied.

"What did I say about...?"

"No one gives a crap what you have to say"

"Cristina, stop it!" Lucy exclaimed. "Defend Meredith's honour on your own time, not at the expense of the patient". The patient started crashing. "Still want to take her to Radiology?" Alex asked Cristina. "Maybe wait in line for a little while till the machine's free?" "Is somebody gonna call the OR?" Jackson said.

The residents got out of the elevator and started transporting the Gunther. "Let's check the liver first. It's the most likely source", Jackson said. "What? No", Cristina disagreed. "Hey, Yang, Lucy. Where's Meredith?" Derek asked, approaching them.

"I don't know"

"What's wrong?" Lucy asked him.

"She's in cardiogenic shock. That's our main concern"

"I'm serious...", Derek continued.

"They fired her. Maybe she's putting anthrax in Karev's locker"

"Cristina! I'm serious! I've had it! Shut the hell up!" Lucy exclaimed. "BP's tanking. We need to up her fluids", Alex said. "No. Her pericardium is filled with air and blood", Cristina said.

"Do you listen to anyone else, ever?"

"All the time. Just not you"

"Or me, apparently", Jackson added. "She's not answering her phone or her pager", Derek yelled after them. "We haven't seen her. We were in the pit. She's not in the pit", Lucy replied. "We were in the elevator. She's not in the elevator".

"Give me a 10-blade please", Cristina said in the OR. "Don't give her a 10-blade. The woman just had her leg hacked off", Alex argued. "She doesn't need her chest cracked open for something we're not even sure she has".