Chapter Twenty

"When you're a kid, you always want things to stay the same. The same teacher, the same house, the same friends... Being a surgeon is no different. You get used to the same Attendings, same scrub nurses, the same hospital. Of course, that all changes the minute fifth year comes around. And you have to find a new job. It's one of those things people say: you can't move on until you've let go of the past. Letting go is the easy part. It's the moving on that's painful. So sometimes we fight it, try and keep things the same. Things can't stay the same, though. At some point you just have to let go, move on. Because no matter how painful it is, it's the only way we grow"

"not so far away"

Cristina was walking through the airport and Meredith and Lucy were there too. "Hey, Cristina", Meredith called but she didn't hear her. "Cristina!" "Hey!" Cristina exclaimed, finally noticing them.

"Hey. How was Dallas?"

"Bad. I can operate circles around the head of the program. I'm sick of all this schlepping. From now on, they're gonna have to come to me"

"Oh, God, definitely. I'm sick of airports", Lucy added. "I'm too pregnant for this"

"How was yours?"

"It was okay. Still not looking as good as staying in Seattle but I have to check what Alex's plans are first"

"Mer? Boston, right?"

"San Francisco", Meredith corrected. "I'm supposed to leave for Boston tonight, but I think I may cancel".

"What? Only an idiot cancels the Brigham. And didn't Bailey set that up for you? No. She's gonna kill you"

They approached Derek who was waiting for them, holding Zola. "How cute is she?" Meredith said. "Hi!" Derek waved.

"Hey, do you guys need a ride?"

"Yes", Lucy and Cristina replied in unison.

"How did it go?" Derek said. "It was great", Meredith said. "Hi, baby girl. Oh, my love".

"Look who's here. Mama. She missed you"

"Your idiot wife wants to cancel her interview at the Brigham", Cristina stated.

"No. You don't cancel an interview with the best general surgery program in the country"

"What I said"

"Why would we move? You've almost finished the house, and you have a job here", Meredith pointed out. "There are other homes and other jobs in Boston", Derek said. "You're going. End of discussion". "Good husband. Okay, let's go", Cristina said. "Yes, Cristina and I will ride in the back with our girl", Lucy said, taking Zola from Meredith. "I'll get the bags", Derek said.

Meredith, Lucy and Cristina entered the residents dressing room. Cristina was holding a large gift basket. "Oh, this is getting ridiculous", April commented. "The NIH?" Jackson questioned, grabbing the note from the top. "Since when does the NIH bribe residents to come work for them?" "Oh, they don't, except when you're me, a God", Cristina replied. Alex came in and grabbed a cookie from the basket.

"Hey"

"Cookie's stale"

"Oh, Karev. Is this hard for you, having to beg for interviews while some of us just sit back and get wooed?"

"No one is begging"

"Oh, yeah, maybe you should", April said. "Maybe that way, you'd actually get an interview". "Ha, I love mean Kepner," Cristina said. "I got an interview", Alex stated. "Oh, really, where?" April asked.

"At...places. Whatever. Look, this sucks, okay. I mean, we got boards in a couple of weeks and now they want us to go on freaking job interviews? And we've got a baby on the way. There's only so much crap a guy can have thrown at him before he snaps"