29: Start! Second Year of High School

"Home sweet home," Shigure announced. "Vacationing was fun, but there's nothing like coming home again."

Unexpectedly, a voice responded from the living room. "You've returned at last!"

Ayame was lounging at the table surrounded by a littering of chip bags, beer cans, and other various garbage. He'd really made himself at home. The corner of my eye twitched at the sight. "Welcome back," he greeted with a smile. "You must be fatigued by your long journey. Please relax with me, weary travelers."

"How the hell did you get in here!" Kyo exclaimed.

"Aya was house sitting while we were gone," Shigure explained.

. . .Why would we need a house sitter?

Ayame blinked at his friend. "Is that the story we're going with?" He questioned, making Shigure's words even less believable.

"You forgot to lock the door, didn't you?" Kyo asked, sounding disappointed.

"Nah, it was probably on purpose," I said. The last time Akito had shown up, Ayame appeared to comfort Yuki. Shigure accompanied Akito to the vacation home, so he could have left the house unlocked for his concerned friend.

"You two are way too smart." Shigure smiled lightly. "Why did you miss out on all the fun, Aya?"

Ayame smirked. "Summer is the season of romance, you see. My shop was swamped with orders. I was simply drowning in work. Alas, I had no time to visit until the fun was all over." I could only imagine the outfits he was busy making.

"Um, Shigure," Tohru suddenly spoke up. "Do you mind if I make a phone call real quick?"

"Go ahead."

"Great! Thanks." Tohru ran off. I frowned after her in curiosity. Just who did she need to call so urgently?

Yuki's voice drew me back. "Did you come here for a reason other than to annoy me?" He asked his brother.

Ayame was honest with his response. "I heard Akito visited the summer house. I'm sorry I wasn't around at the time when you needed the support of your big brother. But I'm here for you now!" He suddenly stood. "I will hold you in my arms to comfort you and heal your aching heart!"

"No way!" Yuki's nose wrinkled in disgust.

"Then hit me! Punish me like a servant!" Ayame exclaimed dramatically. "Use your fists to express your pain and sorrow and don't hold back. I can take it! It's the least I can do for you." He spread his arms, welcoming either a punch or a hug― it was up to Yuki.

Kyo yelled, "WILL YOU JUST LEAVE, YOU WEIRDO?!"

"Agreed," Yuki huffed. "I'm doing perfectly fine."

Ayame sighed. "Are you certain? You wound me, really. I'm offering you my heart and soul, even my body! Yet I'm being rejected!" He cried dramatically, stepping forwards. "In that case, I have no choice but to hold Natsu-chan as I sleep."

I glared and crossed my arms over my chest. "How does your failure to comfort Yuki lead to hugging me while you sleep?"

Kyo glared. "Don't touch her, you pervert!"

Ayame chuckled. "Oh my! Looks like someone is jealous."

Yuki was seething at this point. He glared coldly at Ayame. "Touch her and it'll be the last thing you do."

Ayame paused, blinking slowly. "I see," he said, voice thoughtful. "Does this mean . . ." He smiled and his voice began to lift with excitement. "You're accepting my brotherly love after all? I'm so happy!"