16

Ben stepped out the shower and wrapped a blue towel around his waist followed by Miranda who was smiling ear to ear. They spent almost an hour in the shower and they still felt like they could go again.

Miranda pulled her towel off and walked to his dresser to find her underwear.

"Benjamin stop looking at me like that."

"Miranda I can't help it. You're just sexy."

"Thank you. What are you doing today on your day off?" She asked after putting her bra on.

"I'm going to the golf course." He replied watching her jump into her jeans.

"You and your golf." She laughed.

"I still haven't convinced you to come out there." Ben smiled laying back on the bed.

"You won't ever convince me of that." Miranda smirked straddling his waist and sitting on top of the towel.

"Miranda if you want to make it to work on time. I suggest you get off of me." He said seriously.

"That's not a threat." She told him teasingly.

"Have a good day at work." Ben smiled before sitting up and kissing her lips.

"Thank you." She giggled pecking his lips a few more times.

"I'll call you around lunch to pick something up for us."

"I already know what I want." Miranda smiled brightly.

"And what is that?"

"Hungarian Chicken Paprikash over noodles from that restaurant downtown." She replied knowing he didn't want to drive that far.

"I'll get it because you asked so nicely."

"Aww thank you. Love you and will see you later."

"I love you too."

After a few hours on the golf course Ben made his way downtown for their food. He made sure to get the garlic knots that she liked and her favorite raspberry tea before he drove to the hospital.

Ben looked up at roads being blocked and swarms of police cars as he made his way to the hospital parking lot.

"What the hell is happening?" Ben questioned his heart immediately racing.

Since he couldn't get to the parking lot he quickly parked on the street and ran over.

"Excuse me. Excuse me." Ben rushed making his way through the crowd.

He saw a SWAT team van as well as a blue tent set up outside with policemen talking amongst each other.

"What happened?" He asked a random woman.

"Shooter in the hospital. Nobody can go in."

"A shooter." Ben gasped.

"Yeah I've been standing close to this tent for information. So far he's been shooting doctors."

"Doctors oh my God." Ben mumbled pulling out his phone he called Miranda hoping she would pick up.

Miranda sat on the floor with Charles' head in her lap and she cried silently. He was really gone. She looked up when the swat team passed her.

"We're evacuating this floor." One stopped to talk.

"What about--" Miranda stuttered. "What about Charles?" She pointed to him in her lap.

"The coroners are going to come and start bagging them once the threat has been apprehended."

Miranda nodded and was surprised when the man reached out his hand to help her up. She carefully moved his head off her lap and grabbed onto the mans out stretched hand. She stood up with Mary and followed the man out down the stairs.

"Can I get my things out of my locker and wash off?" Miranda questioned.

"Yeah go ahead there is a Swat team member on that floor. Show your badge and they'll let you through to your things."

Miranda walked with Mary to the front door and watched as she ran outside to her husband. Walking in the other direction she took the stairs till she got to the attending’s lounge.

Ben called Miranda repeatedly and didn't receive an answer. They weren't letting anyone inside yet and people were continuously coming out, but not his girl. He honestly didn't know what to do and he prayed that nothing happened to her. He knew he wouldn't be able to take that.

Miranda walked into the attending’s lounge and washed her hands, scrubbing hard until she didn't see any blood. She then changed out of her scrubs and threw them in the trash. Zipping up her jacket, she grabbed her purse and phone out of her locker before leaving out.

She felt like she was on autopilot as people kept stopping her and say things. She learned that Derek was shot and operated on by Christina, Meredith witness his shooting and was frantic, but fine physically. Then she heard about Alex Karev. He was shot and taken to Seattle press.

Digging in her purse for her keys she got into her car and drove there.

"Dr. Bailey. Are you here to get checked out?"

"No uh I'm here to see my intern Alex Karev. He was brought in with other victims."

"Ok let me look here to see if he was put in a room yet."

Miranda waited while her mind kept replaying the events of today. She felt tears welding up in her eyes but she quickly wiped them away.

"He is in room 377."

"Thank you." Miranda muttered. She walked down to his room and knocked softly on the door. When she didn’t receive an answer she opened the door and walked inside. She looked at Alex in the bed sleeping and she naturally grabbed his chart.

After reading his information she took a seat beside his bed and crossed her legs.

Waking up Alex groaned in pain and immediately reached for his side. He could hearing the beating of the monitor.

"Hey it's ok." Miranda assured him standing by his bedside. "Let me get you some water."

"Bailey you're here?" He questioned trying to sit up.

"Yeah. Aht aht." She scolded pressing the button to raised the bed before she handed him water.  How are you feeling?"

"Like I got shot." He coughed and Miranda nodded, sitting back down.

"The bullet didn’t do any damage you lost a lot of blood. They didn't take it out because of its position. You'll have to come back in a few weeks and get it removed. It should move to the surface by then."

"Ok. How long have you been here?"

"I've been here for 2 hours now. They had just given you morphine when I got here."

"Thank you for coming."

"I'm always going to be around."

"Are you ok?" He asked concerned.

"No." Miranda answered honestly.

"Did he hurt you?" Alex questioned.

"Not physically."

Ben's patience was getting the best of him, he eventually made his way over to the tent and asked the chief of police if she was injured or hurt in anyway. The man flipped through a list of people and didn't see her name. Taking a breath Ben stepped back behind the yellow tape and waited some more.

When the hospital was free to go in Ben jogged inside and looked around. He walked to the attending’s lounge first and looked around for her in there before walking to all her normal spots. Nothing about this was normal though.

He asked several people had the seen her and they all gave the same reply they saw her earlier that morning.

"Excuse me have you seen Bailey." He asked one more person.

"Dr. Bailey she left about 2 or 3 hours ago."

"She left?" He questioned confused.

"Yeah we were on the same floor when it was evacuated. She changed out of her bloody clothes and then she left."

"Bloody clothes?" Ben questioned taking a deep breath.

"Yeah. Rumors going around that she almost died, but the shooter spared her and shot someone else. She tried to save their life but couldn't because of the circumstances."

"Jesus." He stumbled rubbing his face.

Ben was continuously worried about her, he went home thinking maybe she needed space but then it wasn’t right for her to not be held during the night after something like this. One thing he wanted to do was lay eyes on her though. He didn't care if she cried all day and night, he wanted to console her and be there for her. He loved her so much.

The second day of her not answering he drove to her apartment and saw her leaving out. She had on a purple coat, carrying Tuck, her luggage and his car seat all at once. He got out quickly and jogged up to her.

"Miranda". Ben said softly. He watched as her body jump and she turned around scared. He regretted it immediately not thinking otherwise. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-" He started, putting his hands up as he walked with caution.

"No, you can't just sneak up on people okay. You don't just-. "Miranda said nervously as she reached down for her luggage.

"I got these." he stated before grabbing them and placing it into the trunk.

"I was playing golf and by the time I went to go get the food..." Ben started but he couldn't form the rest of his words, truthfully, he didn't know what to say.

Miranda shook her head. "You know 18 people were shot and 11 died - one in my arms, a boy died in my arms and you know.... its fine." She breathed looking up at Ben and lifting Tuck up on her hips.

"Baby." Ben said looking at Miranda.

"Hey Ben." Tuck smiled.

"Hey Champ." He smiled softly to the toddler.

"We gotta go." Miranda said as she walked to the cab door and opened it up.

"Where- where are you going?" Ben asked worried as he walked around to the passenger door of the cab. He took Tuck out of her arms and buckled him in for her.

"Home, with my parents- right we are going to go see grandma and grandpa." She asked Tuck and he nodded.

"Yeah Tuck." Miranda cooed her son and Ben watched intently.

"When are you coming back?" Ben asked. Miranda continued talking to Tuck ignoring him.

Ben was getting worried it felt like this was her subtle way of breaking up with him but he wasn't exactly sure.

"Miranda when are you coming back?" He asked with desperation in his voice. Miranda looked over out the window at him and then she turned her attention back to Tuck again, ignoring his question once more.

"I love you." He said softly and she turned to face him.

"I love you too." Miranda responded so soft that he had to strain to hear. With that the car drove off and Ben felt as if his whole world was tumbling down. He had no idea when she would be coming back and if she would be. He repeated the conversation in his head and sighed. She said I love you back so that was a good sign he thought.

Miranda got off the plane and grabbed Tuck's hand. She reached into the over head and got his book bag and her carry on.

As she excited the plane Miranda walked a little ways until she saw both of her parents. Like a little girl she ran into her mother's arms and cried into her chest.

"Mandy it's ok." She assured rubbing her back up and down.