Chapter One

Kenzi Sullivan parked her car and walked on to the set with her backpack. She was dressed for the Los Angeles summer in faded jeans, cons, and a tshirt with 'Nerd Herd' printed across the front. Her chestnut hair hung in a plait down the middle of her back, the front already falling around her face, the hot pink and electric blue highlights shining in the sun. Her solid rimmed glasses framed and accentuated her blue-green eyes and the spattering of freckles across her pale cheeks and nose.
"Morning Kenzi," Jed, the director, called out as she approached the crew tent. "Beautiful day to make a movie,"
"Sure is. Everything working so far?"
"Yep. Thanks for getting everything set up yesterday."
"That's my job. I'm heading over to set up the review gear now. If you need anything just call me."
"I will. I believe you're under 'personal geek'"
"Haha that would be me,"
Jed and Kenzi had met through a mutual friend at comic con a couple of years ago, and their shared interests kept them in regular contact. Kenzi was originally from Australia but mostly worked in the United States now, as a freelance contractor in IT. She had jumped at the chance to do this job when Jed had asked her. It was a huge responsibility to oversee the amount of equipment on set and in post production as the IT Lead, Kenzi hoped she was up to the challenge. When he told her it was a superhero movie it was too good for her inner nerd to pass up.
The crew had already set up the review tent and got power to it, the rest was up to Kenzi. The equipment was piled in cases just outside and she brought in monitors, cables, computer towers as she needed them. On her way around the corner with two large cases she almost ran straight in to a man she didn't recognise.
"I'm so sorry," she said, setting the cases down on a table. "Are you OK?" She noticed he was quite tall and had bright blue-green eyes, and was dressed in black leather pants and vest, leaving his tanned and muscly shoulders bare. He was grinning playfully at her.
"Yeah, I'm fine. Do you need a hand?"
"No. Thanks though."
"Sure? I'm dressed for heavy lifting and everything," he laughed and extended his hand. "I'm Jeremy,"
"Kenzi. I'm running the IT setup."
"Oh, does that mean you can fix my laptop?"
"That depends on what's wrong with it, but yeah I probably can. With one hand." She smiled.
"Careful I might hold you to that," he winked. "Actually it just won't hook up to the wireless, but everyone else's has."
"Well I can certainly fix that. Give me a call when you're free for a while and I'll come over to the dressing room." She handed him her card and picked up a other case.
"I'll do that, thanks." He walked off in the direction of the other actors and Kenzi went back to unpacking.

A few hours later, when Jed actually had something to review, she took him and the editors to the review tent. Everything was powered up and ready to go, and she left them to it while she replaced some cabling on the set. They cut out early for the day and Kenzi drove the short distance home. She relished coming home to an empty apartment, though she knew she shouldn't and felt just a little guilty. Being home alone meant she didn't have to choose her words carefully, and she settled in on the couch with her laptop. The latest thing she was trying to learn was writing her own android apps, and she watched a few videos and read 20 or so pages before trying something simple. Not realising how much time had passed, she jumped when she heard a key in the door and closed the laptop.
Ethan was taller than Kenzi, average height but solidly built. He should be, given the time he spent at the gym. His almost black hair was short and well groomed and he was always clean shaven and his lightly tanned skin complimented his dark brown eyes. He was wearing a suit, dark grey pinstripe with a white shirt and light blue tie. Quite striking, really. Kenzi often looked at him in his sleep and thought how lovely his body was, when she was allowed to let her eyes wander over him.
"You're home early." He said. "What are you doing?"
"Just, nothing. We finished early today."
"Lucky you." She stood up and he stood in front of her. "You didn't wear that to work, did you?"
Kenzi giggled a little. "Yes, I need to be comfortable. This isn't a desk job, Ethan." He eyed her so intently she looked down at her shoes.
"You know you'll never get anywhere dressing like that and having streaks in your hair like a teenager? When are you going to take things seriously?"
"I am, I do... you realise this is a legit job, don't you? Just because I'm not in an office wearing heels doesn't mean it's all fun and games. I am actually very good at what I do."
"Well I wish you would do something more... mature, than playing with computers all day."
"Like accounting?"
"Finance," he corrected, walking to the bedroom. Kenzi went to the kitchen to start dinner. "Don't make anything for me," he called when she opened the fridge. "I'm going out for drinks with the boys." She rolled her eyes and was grateful he couldn't see her.
"You don't want something to eat first? I can tell you all about my first day?"
"Let me see.... geek geek superheros nerdy computer stuff 'oh Kenzi you're so awesome for fixing my ipad'" he mocked. "I'm going out for some grown up time. Don't wait up." He kissed her coldly on the cheek and left.
Yep, that pretty much sums it up, Kenzi thought, smiling. She was somewhat immune to his attitude after all these years. They had started dating at university while he was in Australia to study and travel. And now... she gave him the obligatory sex three times a week and he gave her familiarity.