Chapter Twenty

Kenzi opened the door quietly. It was late afternoon and the golden light filling the apartment made her feel as warm as she did sad. Standing in the lounge room, she looked around, scanning for... something. She didn't know what. A sign. A syringe, an empty packet, something that would give her a hint. But there was nothing. If nothing else, Ethan had certainly been the master of secrets. She had racked her brain on the way here, trying to think of something she had missed, something that would have been a dead giveaway. He had his own bank account, so she guessed he had simply lied about his income.
She realised upon walking in to the bedroom that she wasn't angry. Perhaps she had simply run out of anger after the last few days. Shocked and saddened, definitely, but not angry. She didn't look at the bed, assuming that was where they had found him. That was where he took his last breath. He died in this room. Was he sad? Was he hurt? Was he too high to care? Was he so desperate that suicide was the only way, or was it really just to spite me?
She took his black suit from the closet, with a green shirt and grey and green tie, putting them in to a bag with shoes and underwear. She turned and looked around for a few moments before going back to the door, locking and closing it behind her.

Back on the street, she spotted a familiar car parked behind hers, and Jeremy got out as she loaded Ethan's clothes in to the car.
"I can explain," he put his hands up, palms forward. "I wasn't coming in, I just wanted to make sure you were ok to drive when you came out. I promise."
Kenzi smiled a little. "It's ok, you're not in trouble. How could you be for doing something so sweet. Thank you."
"Do you want me to drop them off for you? Then you can go home and grab some things before you come over?"
"You don't mind?"
"Of course not, it's on the way. I'll see you at mine."

Kenzi went back to Jed's house and packed clothes for the next day, giving him another tight hug before she left. "See you in the morning, boss."
"You will. Have a good night. I mean, you know. Just go." he laughed.

Only a few minutes later she was at Jeremy's house, the sun was almost set and she parked her car in the driveway. Before she could knock he opened the door.
"Something smells good," she said. As she went to the guest room to put her bag down she realised all of the lights were dimmed, and on her return she noticed out on the deck there was a small table with candles. Jeremy took her hand and led her outside, pulling the chair out for her to sit down.
"Wow,"
"I didn't have a lot of time, so it's only pasta, but it's the thought that counts, right?"
"I think in this case it's the candles and champagne that count," she smiled.
"It's good to see you smile, Kenzi. I know you probably don't feel like it, but it's nice to see."
"I think it will be nice to get back to... well to have a life. When this all calms down. Hopefully no more surprises."
"I'll drink to that," Jeremy said. "Your life so far is a little more excitement than I bargained for."
"You've been so wonderful to me. Thank you, Jeremy. It might, uh, be a while. Before I'm ready for anything serious."
"I know. I can wait. Actually my agent called while I was waiting and I got a new part today in another action film so I'll be away for a while. Shooting in the dessert apparently. It starts in about two months."
"Congratulations, that's great news."
Kenzi yawned as she took their plates to the kitchen and Jeremy brought in the glasses. "You should go to bed, it's going to be a long one tomorrow."
"Take me to bed then,"
"But I thought... you sure?"
"Yes, Jeremy. Sex isn't serious, it's sex. And if you're not sure I'll settle for a cuddle and I'll keep my clothes on."
"OK then," he turned off the lights and took her to the bedroom. He whirled her around to face him and pulled her to his mouth, kissing her fervently. She moaned in to his mouth and slid her hands inside his shirt, pulling it easily over his head and doing the same with her own. He unbuttoned her shorts and slipped them down off her hips to the floor, leading her to the bed and laying her down in her bra and panties. He stood and gazed down at her. "Fuck, Kenzi, you're so beautiful."
Kenzi sat up enough to hook her fingers in his waistband and pull his pants down, tugging on his hips and pulling him down on top of her. She could feel his erection already pressing in to her through the thin fabric of her underwear. He kissed her mouth again and trailed kisses down behind her ear, down her neck and over the sensitive spot near her collarbone. She writhed under him, arching her back up to him and running her fingertips lightly down his chest. He easily unclasped her bra and slid it down off her shoulders, exposing her firm breasts, and he kissed around them, sucking a pink nipple in to his mouth and eliciting a groan. Kenzi ran her hands over his naked torso, over his back and shoulders, pausing to tease his nipples, rolling them one at a time between her thumb and finger.
He moved down to her waist and hips, circling her navel slowly with his tongue while sliding her panties down her thighs and off. Moving back to her breast he sucked a nipple in to his mouth while he slid two fingers slowly inside her, making her breath catch in her throat. She reached down and stroked his erection, taking it firmly in her hand and sliding down, cupping his balls. He groaned and pushed it in to her hand, rubbing his thumb over her clit while he grazed her neck with his teeth. For a few moments he watched her face, enjoying seeing her become more breathless and flushed as he teased her with his hands. Seeing that she was close to orgasm, he slid his fingers deeper, putting a little more pressure on her clit and kissing her mouth hungrily, feeling her arch and writhe under him as she spasmed around his fingers and moaned in to his mouth.
Removing his fingers he flipped then both over so she was on top, and she made quick work of putting his tip at her entrance, teasing him by swirling her hips before she slid his length inside her. "Ah, Kenzi. You feel so amazing." She continued sliding painfully slowly up and down his shaft, groaning at the feeling of fullness when he was inside her. She sat up, straddling him, and thrust her hips to take him in deeper, pressing her hands on his chest. He reached a hand down and circled her clit again and she began to thrust faster, moving her hips so she slid up and down his entire length, plunging him deeper inside with every movement. With a shudder she shattered, convulsing around him, and bent down to kiss up his chest, nibbling and biting his nipples, reaching his mouth just as he thrust up to meet her and spilled his seed into her. She lay down on his chest, trying to catch her breath and feeling his heart pounding under her.
Kenzi suddenly felt very sleepy, and she rolled off him, laying her head on Jeremy's chest. He put his arms tight around her and kissed the top of her head. "You are an amazing woman, Kenzi Sullivan."
"You're pretty amazing yourself," she said sleepily. "Thank you so much for everything you've done for me. You had no idea you were getting yourself in to this."
"I wish you hadn't been hurt, but it has shown me how strong and resilient you are. And also how fragile. And it's a beautiful thing. Go to sleep, baby."