Chapter Eight

Jeremy's lips were softer than Kenzi had expected, and he was incredibly gentle, letting his lips graze hers carefully but deliberately. Time seemed to stop as he pressed just a little harder, sucking gently on her bottom lip. Kenzi brought a hand up to his neck, pulling him closer, and she let her tongue lightly taste his lips. He parted his mouth slightly, allowing her tongue to mix with his, letting her take the lead. He kept his hands steady on her back until she brought one hand up to rest gently on his chest, the other still on his neck. Combing his fingers through her hair he let his hand rest on her neck just under her ear and kissed her more deeply, never wanting it to end. The scent and taste and feel of her in his arms was intoxicating, and he could feel her breathe deeply as he stroked her neck. He slowed and withdrew his tongue, letting his mouth linger on hers for a few moments before resting his forehead on hers.
Kenzi was speechless and felt like she might melt in to a puddle. She hadn't been kissed like that before. Ever. Before she could form words she heard her phone ring from the table and Jeremy released her without argument.
"Hi," she said.
"Hi. I hear you didn't get the job."
"No, they told me a little while ago."
"I'm surprised they could find someone more suitable than you. I think you had something to do with that."
"Ethan, they just found a better candidate. That's all. They must have been good, they didn't even interview me."
"Hm. It's very quiet, where are you?"
"In my room," she lied. "I was about to go to bed, it's been a big week."
"I'm glad. Partying will only get you in trouble. I'll speak to you tomorrow."
He hung up and Kenzi looked down at the floor. "Sorry," she said to Jeremy, sitting down on the couch.
"Don't be. I got a chance to catch my breath," he chuckled, sitting down next to her.
"Jeremy," she said quietly. "I've never... I've never been.. that was..."
He caught her eyes and looked sincerely at her. "Never?" he said incredulously. Kenzi shook her head. "Guess you have some catching up to do, then." He put a hand behind her neck and brought her mouth to his, starting slowly but more eager this time. When he finally pulled away Kenzi was breathless and could feel her lips were swollen and tender. She looked down and blushed, and he stroked her hand.
"I want to... you know. But,"
"Slowly, I know. It's OK. Like I said, even if you don't end up with me I'll be happy if I prove my point. I have all the time in the world."
"I wish I did," she said softly.
"Can I ask you something?" Kenzi nodded. "Do you honestly want to leave him?"
"I... I don't think I do. I know you all think I must be miserable the way he treats me, but... Maybe I'm so used to it, it's familiar. I know what to expect, it's safe and comfortable. I don't expect you to understand-"
"Good. Because I don't. How can you allow him to control you like that? You don't have friends, you don't go out without him and when you do he tells you what to wear and you can't speak, and then he forces you to... you know. That's not normal, Kenzi."
"But can you understand it's all I've ever known? I was only 18 when we met."
"So you're just going to carry on like this, get married and have children who think this is normal?" he raised his voice just slightly and she pulled back.
"I don't know! Like I said, it's familiar. I don't have anything else." she paused. "Did you think you could kiss me twice and have it all suddenly become clear, and I'd break it off with him and fall in to your arms? It's not that simple!"
Jeremy let out an exasperated sigh. "You're right. When you turned down the job I saw hope. Hope that you might see it, that I might have a chance."
"I'm sorry, Jeremy. Really." She stood up. "Thank you, for all of this. I have to go."
"Kenzi," he stood up and put his hands on her shoulders, kissing her lips softly.
"Maybe we can see what happens when we go back. I can't just call him and say I'm leaving, it will take some time to plan. If that's what I decide to do. The thought of being on my own is more terrifying than staying with him."
"You're not on your own, though." he took her hand. "I'll be there, however you need me to be."
He opened the door and Kenzi went back down the hall to her room.

She stood inside the door and leaned against it, putting a finger to her lips. She had never been unfaithful to anyone before, although she had really only ever been with Ethan. The guilt in the pit of her stomach was outweighed by the excitement and warmth she had felt from Jeremy. The rose, the candles, the champagne, and that kiss. She blushed all over again.
After a quick shower she put on her pajamas and slipped in to bed. She had got used to sleeping alone now, relishing the idea of not having to pretend to be asleep or being roughly accosted by Ethan. Picking up her phone she saw a message from Jeremy: 'Sweet dreams gorgeous xx' and smiled. 'They will be xx' she replied before she rolled over and closed her eyes, drifting off in to a peaceful sleep.