~

Everyone sat at the table, eating a minimalist pristine breakfast of champions. All I could do was poke at my plate with a gut wrenching feeling- whether it be because of last night or the environment I'm currently in, nothing felt right.

     Lori, Carl, and Rick were all by each other and seemed to be glued together. It kind of made me happy to see that they were a reunited family again and that Rick was able to replace Shane. I knew the guilt Lori felt, as it just seemed to radiate off of her every time she was around Shane. One thing I wasn't excited for was when Rick found out- if he finds out- or even if he already knew but didn't want to acknowledge it. Rick Grimes was not a man to fool easily.

     I look over to Daryl who's intently staring at Shane as he pokes at his food. Shane had his head down probably trying to conceal the damage that was done by Daryl's anger and his crossbow. A part of me felt like Daryl had an obligation to help me- in a way that maybe it was reflective of his childhood and maybe that's why he showed such anger and hate towards asshats like Shane. I felt bad for getting defensive when u saw Daryl leaning against my door, but I wasn't used to protection. I had jail bars up in my mind that I had lost the key to years ago.

     "Holy shit, Shane what happened to your face?" My chest rises as I look over to Lori examining it and Andrea from the other side of him looking as well. I look to Rick as he leans over the table, and I swallow a knot in my throat.

     "You know what happened?" Rick looks to me and I look over to Shane, leaning into my seat and staring at the girls examine the damage done and well deserved.

     Fuck it, I obviously look guilty as hell.

     "Was drunk, fell down the stairs. I came out of my room, heard a thud, saw him at the bottom; had quite a bit of blood." I shrug. Shane looks at me, almost shocked I covered for him. But little did he know I wasn't covering for him, but for Daryl. I knew what everyone would think if I exposed Daryl; the hot tempered raging redneck who just wants to find his brother. And if Rick heard he had hit slam dunked his best friend, which he deems innocent, Daryl would be expelled from the group. And I didn't want that for him.

     "Yeah, quite a fall. I guess the wine got to me, huh?" He scoffs out a nervous laugh, rubbing the back of his head as he lifts his face up and reveals a purple blot around his eye with excessive swelling. There was a scar on the side of his temple and yellow surrounding the bruise.

     I wanted to reach over and strangle him, spit in his face, toss him to the dead; but I couldn't- not yet, at least.

     Suddenly, a red light starts to beep. The talking stops as we all look around, trying to find the cause.

     "Morning ladies and gentlemen," Dr. Jenner walks in, and I look to Rick. Rick shifts in his seat, almost a little to uneasy. What happened last night; did I miss that much?

"Dr. Jenner what is that?" Carol asks leaning over the table, holding Sophia.

"Ah! That, is a self destruct count down. Once it reaches zero, the building is cease to exist." The man smiles, and I immediately get up from my seat enraged.

"So this is some fucking suicide mission to you?!" I walk over to the man, not caring about what happens. "We came here to live not to fucking die, you asshole!" I place my hands on his chest and shove him back, but he seems unphased.

"Look, it's the best outcome. It'll be quick, easy." I shake my head and grind my teeth, feeling my finger nails dig into my palms. I hear the group start to chatter behind me, freaking out. "I'm gonna fucking rip your head off, I swear to God." I step closer to him, but a pair of hands hold me back. I look over my shoulder and see Rick alongside with Dale and Glenn. "The hell are you doing, Rick?" I snap. "He's trying to kill us!"