~

I must have fallen asleep, as the next thing I know I'm woken up with a blaring gun shot

I must have fallen asleep, as the next thing I know I'm woken up with a blaring gun shot. The roof above me rattles and small pieces of the ceiling fall down onto my face as I look up. My heart skips a beat as my brain registers a response to my half asleep body.

     "Shit! Shit, shit, shit." I get up and adjust my clothes so that I wasn't exposed, and run to the corner grabbing my duffel bag. I look up at the exposed ceiling window, and squint as I try to make out figures. All I could see were shadows. I knew it were people, as I could hear yelling. But there could not possibly be walkers up on the roof... right? I look around, trying to find an exit to take. And I knew I had to make one choice out of three options. Go out of the front into the dead parade, go to the roof and investigate, or hide in here until they disappear and possibly miss my chance at shelter and finding Ava.

     What if they can help me find her? What if they saw her? What if they're nice people? This was the area we had ran to before she disappeared into the mob. My mind tries to scramble as I think of the possibilities. I could risk it or I could play it safe- but if I wasn't being idiotic enough considering the scenario, I needed the company.

     I rub my hand over my face and shove my long dark curly hair into the same night gown I've worn for weeks. "Ahh, fuck it." I swing my bag over my shoulder more and reach on the creaking ladder as I step over the blood and guts spilled onto the tile floor. I slowly creep my way up the ladder, trying to slowly make an appearance so I don't get shot.

     "It's been weeks! You better not have killed my brother!" A man yells. From what I could see at my angle, he was muscular, wore a tattered tank top, and has short brown hair. His eyes were squinted and he had a visible mole on his face.

     "Hey man, calm down!" A lighter voice sounds from the opposite side.

     I swallow as I near the top, trying to maintain my breathing pattern. I place my sweating palms on the bar as I peer over the top onto the ceiling.

     There were three men. One was in a sheriff's costume, one was an Asian boy in modern clothing, and one other in a torn biker setup with a dirty attire look to him. His face was as red as a tomato as if he was about to explode.

     As I peer over the top, my foot finds a slippery spot on the ladder. With a loud bang, I managed to catch myself but I new I also exposed myself at the same time.

     "Shit!" I whisper under my breath.

     "Who's there?" The man in the brown officer costume slowly walks towards me and I feel my chest tighten. What if these people aren't good people? I'll never find Ava. All because of my goddamn stupidity.

     The other two men follow who seems to be the leader, their weapons raised. The dirty man had s crossbow and the Asian boy a pistol along with the officer. I close my eyes and take a breath, slowly climbing more to the top. 

     "I'll come out if you don't shoot!" I yell out onto the roof.

     "Do you have any weapons?" The officer guy speaks in a slight accent.

     "If you count my temper or a duffel bag full of expired food, then yes. So don't try anything. I'm coming up." I slowly climb up the iron ladder all of the way, fully revealing myself to the group of men. Once I'm up, I raise my hands showing I was innocent.

     "Holy shit." The Asian boy says slowly. The cop looks at me then back at them.

     "Slide your bag over here." He points at his boots and I swallow.

     "This is all I have, I promise I'm not worth robbing. It's already happened one too many times." And I wasn't lying. I was robbed and beat and left for dead, and I've at least lost ten more pounds. As if I didn't look deadly skinny enough before.

     "We are not going to steal, we just need to see if there are any weapons." The cop kneels and I slide my bag over to him, emerging fully onto the roof and sitting against a pipe.

     "I would... watch that if I were you." The Asian boy speaks to me and I look to my left. It was abandoned handcuffs and a puddle of blood.

     "My God, so you torture people?!" I stand up, brushing off my tattered night gown. I look to the cop who looks through the pockets.

     "You could say that." The raspy dirty red neck states flatly.

     "No, we don't torture people. His brother went crazy so we locked him up here. Came back, he wasn't here but his hand. Came back again, still nada." The Asian boy says.

     I slowly nod as I was unsure of what to say. "So, uh.. you guys got a group? A camp? Shelter?"

     "We do." The cop slides the bag at my feet, putting his hands on his hips. "You?"

     I shake my head. "No, no.. I've just been staying in this strip mall the last week. Sleeping on the floor.. looking for my sister. I've been all over in Atlanta this past month but I can only do so much, you know?" I look at the three men and the red neck catches my green eyes with his blue ones, immediately turning away. "So it sounds like we are in a similar predicament."

     I kneel down, opening my bag and pulling out a crumpled sheet of paper. A poster I ripped from the wall and drew on with a broken crayola crayon. "My sister and I, we lived here. I've been here, here, and here.. and now here." I point at each spot at the map.

     "Have you guys seen a little girl? Long blonde hair? Purple shirt?" I look at them with hope, only to receive head shaking. I put my face into the map and sigh, shoving it back into the bag. "Well, that's all I needed to know. Thanks and good luck." I give a straight smile as I put my bag over my shoulder and turn to go back down the ladder.

     "How about you stay with us?" I turn around and the Asian boy looks at his group for approval.  "I mean you're barely in clothes, you're hungry, alone, cold.. you're the most vulnerable out here."

     "You calling me weak? Because if so, I can assure you I am more than capable of taking care of myself." I could feel a small spark of venom ignite in my words and I sigh.

     "No! No, no." The boy raises his hands and I sigh knowing I took it personally.

     "I'm sorry, I just- I'm used to taking care of myself." But the thought of some company and maybe a little bit of warmth and food sounded pleasant.

     "I don't see a problem with it. But you have to contribute." The cop walks towards me and holds his hand out. "I'm Rick, Rick Grimes. This is Daryl Dixon and that's Glenn Rhee. Welcome to our group."

     I shake his hand and offer a brief smile. "I'm Sage. Sage Wilson."