Chapter Five

"Are we done yet?" Shikamaru asked the blonde, his arms loaded down with bags.

"Kaa-San gave us a long list, we aren't even half way through it." Narumi shook the piece of paper, the long piece of paper.

"Now that she has two students, she has been pouring over all her cookbooks." Shikaku said amused at the sight of the two genins, both burdened with bags of food like he was.

"She's a slave driver Tou-San, I've burnt myself more cooking than I did when I was learning how to use explosive tags." Narumi grumbled as they walked down the street of the busy marketplace, face impassive at the harsh glares and words sent her way.

However they were considerably less because the head and the heir of the Nara clan were flanking he, Shikamaru automatically on Naruto's right. Shikaku had taken note of this and let his son stay where he seemed most comfortable and if that was where a solider usually stood when walking with his superior then so be it. The head of the Nara clan would find out the truth soon, he always did.

"Are you seeing this Kakashi?" Asuma blew out a stream of smoke.

"Usually seeing is believing, but even I'm having a hard time believing this." Kakashi leaned on the railing on the roof of one of the stores that overlooked the marketplace, his visible eye trained on his blonde student. Said student was currently food shopping with Shikaku and Shikamaru Nara.

"I knew that Narumi was integrated into Shikamaru's clan but I didn't think she was this integrated." Asuma scratched his beard and told Kakashi of what he saw that day when he played Shogi with Shikamaru.

The two Jounin sensei's watched as Narumi said something, Shikamaru laughed and elbowed the blonde while Shikaku shook his head fondly and ruffled both the kid's hair.

"We should invite our teams to dinner, to gauge their relationship." Kakashi said slowly a plan forming.

"THAT IS A YOUTHFUL IDEA MY ETERNAL RIVAL! I SHALL INFORM MY TEAM TO MEET YOUR OTHER YOUTHFUL TEAMS AT 7 TONIGHT AT THE USUAL BBQ PLACE." Gai shouted from behind the two, startling the bearded Jounin and the silver haired Jounin sighed at the loud voice.

"Looks like it's happening then. I'll go inform my team and Kurenai's, you can tell Narumi and Shikamaru." Asuma held up a hand before he disappeared in a puff of smoke to find Choji, Ino and his lover. Kakashi sighed before he dropped down into an alleyway and sauntered over to where the trio was standing.

"Kakashi-Sensei" Narumi waved her arm at the silver haired Jounin cheerfully.

"Nara-Sama, Shikamaru-Kun right?" Kakashi raised a hand in greeting.

"Hai Kakashi-Sensei, nice to meet you." Shikamaru inclined his head slightly to the older man.

"I came to tell you two, that if you are free the other teams are all meeting up tonight at Yakiniku Q around 7 for dinner." Kakashi invited the two Genin; the preteens exchanged small glances before turning to Shikaku who rubbed his neck.

"I can hold Yoshino-Chan off for tonight." Shikaku said, his voice portraying his dread at the coming storm that was his wife.

"We'll be there Kakashi-Sensei" Narumi gave her sensei a grin and Shikamaru just yawned. "That means he's in... I'm learning Nara speak."

Kakashi gave an eye smile before he disappeared in a swirl of leaves as per usual. Shikamaru and Narumi exchanged knowing glances as Shikaku discreetly observed the two communicating silently and added it to the growing theory he was creating before the trio went on to try to finish the list Yoshino had assigned them.

~~/~~

Seven o'clock found Shikamaru and Narumi standing outside of Yakiniku Q, looking at the restaurant with dread.