Chapter Nineteen

"So overall I think yesterday went well." Narumi commented from her place in Shikamaru's room a Shogi board between the two.

"I'm surprised at how easy it was to take down Hidan, I had expected a harder fight." Shikamaru said as he made his move against the blonde.

"You knew all his tricks and how to defeat him without having to get close to him, plus you are a genius Shika." Narumi pointed out as she made her counter move. "The others should be with B on the island by now minus Gaara as he said he had things to take care of back in Suna first."

"Then I think we need to talk about our next move... Jiraiya might be bringing up your three year training mission soon..." Shikamaru glanced up at the blonde who was leaning against the wall behind her.

"I'm not sure we will be doing that this time around, he seems really happy with Baa-Chan, Kakashi-Sensei and myself at the Senju estate. There is no immediate threat like last time and we have two inside men on the Akatsuki and you just took out one of their members..." Narumi commented.

"Even if he brought it up, I don't think I would agree to leave the village for that long of a time. I was gone for three years last time and I missed a lot of time with my precious people, I know everything and more than what Ero-Sennin could teach me so there would be no point in leaving."

"...However I think that we still need to a take a little trip, hopefully not a three year long one." Shikamaru moved to counter Narumi's attack.

"Yeah I know, we can use Akira and Akito to get us out of the village and then we will proceed from there." Narumi sighed. "The things we do to keep a war from starting."

"I know, we are going to have do a lot of explaining when we get back, it's going to be so troublesome." Shikamaru sighed. "Are you still set on become Hokage after we achieve our objective? Once we do, we won't know any events that could come to pass, so we don't need to fight like before."

"I'm not sure to be honest, I could wash my hands of it saying 'been there, done that.' Which is true, but I was thrusted into it because the other Kage's were killed and I was the only suitable choice..." Narumi said in a low and serious voice.

"...We will cross that bridge when we get there, just know that whatever you choose to do I will follow you." Shikamaru smiled and held his fist up in honour of Killer B.

"I would be lost without you at my side Shika." Narumi chuckled as she bumped her fist against the Nara's.

"Of course you would be, now prepare to lose!" Shikamaru smirked as he made his last move and the reaction was Narumi yelling out as she fell to the side dramatically.

~~/~~

"Sasuke!" Hiruzen blinked in surprise at the Uchiha that was standing on his doorstep.

"I've thought about what you said and I've reached a decision." Sasuke said looking up from under his bangs. The Sandaime watched the preteen silently as he seemed to steady himself for what he was about to say.

"I've decided... I've decided I just want my Nii-San back, I want to get strong enough so he won't have to put himself in danger to protect me. I need to get stronger so he can come home and we can be a family again. I will not fault all of Konoha for the mistake of one mad man as long as he is dealt with." Sasuke said with steel in his voice and in his eyes.

"I'm glad that is your decision Sasuke. If you would like, as I'm no longer Hokage I have some free time on my hands and I would be honoured if you would become my student." Hiruzen held up a hand in an agreement.

Sasuke, looking stunned, but pleased by the outcome of the talk with the Sandaime took the older man's hand and shook it firmly and with conviction in his onyx eyes.