22. Head In The Clouds

To the girl that made the 13th reason not matter...

With every second of no one picking up, the hole within her grew tremendously. It looked easier in her head, unblocking her sister and trying to reason with her. But now, when she was locked in the hotel bathroom, with her girlfriend outside, her heart was thumping so loudly in her chest that even if her sister did pick up, she wouldn't be able to hear her.

Another beep, followed by silence. Could it be possible that her phone was not working? There wasn't any service in the hotel?

"Ellie, you should hang up!" And there it was, the same thing that her consciousness also repeated, came from the other side of the door. Sadie's voice was alarmed, like she herself wasn't sure what happened with Annabelle and if she was still there.

"Annabelle?" Finally, the beeping was replaced by her sister's voice. Her heartbeat picked up pace, her breathing intensified and she was sure her hands were unresponsive to even try and press the red button on her screen.

"Emilia," She could barely recognize her voice, like someone else was talking and she could only listen and watch how the situation unfolds. "What the fuck?"

"Don't talk to me like that, Annabelle. Especially after shaming the entire family. Mom is furious and dad is doing everything to find you. Where have you been?" To her own surprise, her sister's voice wasn't hostile, nor pitiful. It was almost like she showed the tiniest bit of sympathy, but the blonde girl couldn't trust herself to believe that Emilia was being anything but awful to her.

"You did this. Mom did this! Why are you even talking about shaming?!" Annabelle was sure that Sadie could hear her, but thankfully didn't try to break in through the door like the past 10 minutes.

"What do you mean mom did this? Why would she do it? You do know that we are all also Clarkes, right?" Now the blonde girl could tell that her sister was confused. But how could she not know, her and their mom were inseparable in everything, there is no way she wouldn't know. "Plus, despite everything you are still part of the family. Even with... Sadie. We miss you."

"So you're telling me that the people that did this did not get bribed by mother?" Her expression was almost unreadable. With furrowed brows, she tried to make sense how else Autumn could have had her mom's number and if she got outplayed and sent in the wrong direction purposefully.

"Annabelle.. Ugh.." Emilia's voice came in almost breathless, accompanied by a sigh in the end. "I am sorry for what happened to you. It sucks, I know it does, but mom would never do that. How about you come down to London and we can discuss that, yeah?"

"Yeah..." Annabelle mindlessly agreed, although the last thing on her mind right now was going to London to see her family. "See you."

And then she hung up. She did not wait for her sister to say anything. Instead, the phone in her hand fell on the floor, while her hand covered her eyes, seemingly to remove the wet trails on her face.

"Ellie, please, open the door." Sadie knocked again, this time determined to break the door if she needed to. She would be more than willing to pay the price for one broken door, when that would mean helping her girlfriend through everything.

But what the Redhead did not expect was Annabelle actually unlocking the door and throwing herself in her embrace. Her body moved on its own, and she tightened the hug immediately, stabilizing herself and making sure to give all the support she possibly could.