Chapter Seven

I awoke to see Wednesday by my side and I see Xavier. "Welcome back." He says and I sit up.

"Just take it easy." He says and sits down. "Nurse said you don't have a concussion, but you probably have a nasty bump, huh?" He says, "the last thing I remember I was walking outside." I say.

"Then I look up and saw that gargoyle coming down and I thought, "well at least I'll have an imaginative death."" I say "the you tackled her out of the way." Wednesday says.

    "Why?" I asked and he shrugs, "call it instinct." He says. "So you were guided by latent chivalry, the tool of the patriarchy to extract my undying gratitude?" I say and he nods.

    "Mm-hmm. Most people just say thank you." He says. "I didn't want to be rescued." I say. "So I shoulda just let that thing smash you to mush?" He says.

"Maybe I would have rather I saved myself." I say and Xavier scoffs. "Good to see you haven't changed." He says and I rolled my eyes "if it makes you feel any better, let's just say I returned the favor." He says and I give him a confused look and so does Wednesday.

"Xavier Thorpe? You probably don't remember me. Last time we met, I was about two feet shorter, 40 pounds heavier." He says. "What happened?" Me and my twin ask.

"Puberty, I guess." He says. "I meant what happened the last time we met?" I say.

"Oh. Uh. Yeah, it.. it was my godmothers funeral. Apparently she was friends with your grandmother, and they spent their twenties in Europe, swindling the rich and notorious. I don't know, but we were ten, and we were bored, decided to play hide and seek. I had the inspired idea to hide in her casket. I got stuck as it was headed to the crematorium." He says.

"I'd heard muffled screams. Wednesday figured your godmother had cheated death and was trying to claw her way out." I says.

"Either way, you hit the big red stop button and saved me from being flame broiler so...now we're even." He says and then the day continues.