Chapter Six - Congratulations, Lydia

Score: Whatcha Say - Jason Derulo

Lydia

I walk into the flat and aim to go straight to my room, but my dad makes an appearance in the hall.

"So, you've made it for dinner," he says and my wonderful mood instantly evaporates.

Great. The stupid dinner.

"I've eaten," I say simply, but he doesn't give up.

"But Celia has prepared something special for you."

"Thanks, but I am not interested."

"We are all having dinner tonight. Feel free to go change into something more...appropriate," he says and with that, I know I have no choice.

I look down at my jeans and T-shirt. I don't understand what's wrong with my clothes. Am I expected to put on a fucking gown for a family dinner?

I throw my hands up in the air in exasperation, but head for my room anyway.

There's no point in arguing.

I only slept five hours last night, and have had an...interesting day so far, and the only thing that I want to do is just lie in bed and watch a movie, but no-oh, I have to make an appearance for this family dinner tonight.

We haven't had dinner, all together, since Christmas, and that was a fucking fiasco, but, apparently, Celia is very fond of throwing dinner parties that end with everyone either drunk or crying.

I change into the first dress that crosses my path in the closet and storm out of my room.

I fling the door to the dining room open and suppress the impulse to vomit at what I see.

It is like a baby shower has thrown up in the dining room.

There are pink and gold balloons everywhere, there is a huge pink cake on the console table, there is a Congratulations, Lydia banner, hanging from the ceiling, and the centerpiece of the table is a tiered tray full of pink macaroons and cupcakes.

For the record, I hate pink. And I am pretty sure Celia is well aware of the fact.

And then I notice the people.

My father and Celia are standing by the wall, champagne glasses in hand. My brother is nowhere to be seen, which pisses me off, as he doesn't get to stay for the stupid dinner.

Yet, John has always been Colin's favourite.

And, standing by the bay window, hands in his pockets, eyes locked straight in front of him...

Patrick. And, right next to him, his parents.

You have got to be kidding me!

My stomach drops a few inches, when I see them.

At the same time, it seems that everybody notices that I have entered the room. Celia throws her hands in the air and shouts:

"Surprise!"

Everyone's eyes are fixed on me, as I am standing in the doorway. I smile nervously and walk in.

"It was so nice of Celia to call us and invite us to your dinner party. We didn't have a clue you were planning to have a celebratory leaving-school dinner tonight!" Theodora, Patrick's mother chirps joyfully.

Of course, Celia invited them!

I take a glass of champagne from the table and force a smile.

"It must've slipped my mind." My champagne is taking painfully long to reach my bloodstream. "Yeah, you know me, always up for a little fun."