Chapter Fifty-Seven - I've Never Really Been Out

Score: 18 - One Direction

Mark

We are sitting on the floor in Lydia's kitchen, with our backs pressed against the island, licking, or, rather sipping on, half-melted ice lollies, that she took out of the plastic bag lying three feet away from us. The one with the shattered bottle of wine still in it.

Lydia has been telling me about her new life, about starting work at Belanger Skin & Beauty, about living with Liam and Gloria. She even told me about Patrick giving her the money from the bet, which has, apparently, helped her a lot to settle into her new ways.

I felt embarrassed by the mention of the bet and the money. Not just embarrassed, but disgusted with myself. No matter what I do, I feel like I cannot absolve myself for this. I just want to forget about it and move past this episode in our lives.

She said she loves you, the small voice in my head pops in. Maybe, she's moved past it already. Maybe, she didn't stay away from you because of the stupid bet. Maybe, she stayed away from you, because she was afraid you might bolt again. Like you've already done...twice.

I'm still deep in thought when I feel someone tug at the sleeve of my shirt.

"Is it blue?" I turn around and see Lydia, sticking her tongue out, her blue ice lolly trickling down her hand. She looks hilarious, with her disheveled braids and her wrinkled dress, sticking her tongue out like a child.

I burst out laughing. In a way, she hasn't changed one bit, since we were eight.

"Yes, baby, it's blue."

"Let me see yours," she demands, tilting her head.

I stick my tongue out in turn. Lydia's eyes light up and a smile lifts up the edges of her beautiful mouth.

"It's green! What flavor is it?"

"Apple," I say, leaning forward and licking a trickle of blue liquid from Lydia's chin. "But I like grapes better," I say, kissing her jaw, and moving up until my lips find hers.

"God, I've missed you," I say, kissing her lips and drawing my tongue along the seam of her mouth. A slight quiver runs through her body, from the sensation of my cold tongue running over her mouth, and then her lips part open, letting me in. I taste her mouth, savoring the sweet taste of the ice lolly, mixing with the pure heaven that Lydia's mouth tastes like.

Just as things start to get more interesting again, a loud banging on the door breaks the spell. I groan and pull away from Lyds, breaking the kiss.

"Don't move", I look her intently in the eyes, as I move to stand up.

I walk toward the door and open it, and, just as I do so, a furious Gloria bursts in, yelling.

"What did you do to her, you bastard? You promised you'll behave!"

Liam walks past the scene of his girlfriend throwing a fit, and heads straight for Lydia, who's still sitting on the floor, with her ice lolly dripping on the floor and her eyes wide open in shock.

"Are you OK, Lyds? Did he hurt you?" I hear him say behind my back. I spin on my heels, looking at them both, not really able to comprehend what's going on.

"Hurt her? What the fuck?"

"Don't play stupid! We heard screams! We heard glass breaking, and stuff being thrown around!" Gloria rushes by Lydia's side, as well, and crouches right next to her friend.

I look around, speechless, and then, finally, let out a deep sigh.

I have to admit, we are a state!

Lydia's scooped up by the island, her braided hair messy, mascara staining her cheeks, and her dress wrinkled and falling off her shoulder, the grocery bag lying on the floor in a puddle of wine.