PROLOGUE | BALLROOM DANCING

Outskirts of CSK-45 Compound Echo
Songnisan, South Korea / 02-12-2017 / 19:09
SPECIAL OPERATIVE CAPT. "CHAOS" / TASK FORCE ARES

"Nero-Actual to Ares-0-1, what's your status?"

Chaos sunk the length of her frigid combat knife into the fragile flesh of an enemy soldier's neck, the momentum of her rappel from the towering tree canopy enough to slam him into the snow-covered ground and silence him of his soundless screams. She yanked the blade free from his carotid artery after severing the unsuspecting man's lifeline, paying no mind to the blood spewing rapidly onto the white blanket underneath her ragged boots. Rather than churn it, the sight of the marron bodily fluid only seemed to settle her stomach, though she did acknowledge it was a morbid splash of colour against the purity of the winterized Songnisan mountains. Straightening her crouched posture over the corpse, Chaos dragged the flats of her knife across the sleeve of her coat, freeing the black surface of the cold blood before shoving it back into its sheath on her belt.

Chaos brushed the snow away from her goggles and stole a glance at the soldiers of her task force. They had followed her wordless lead without question, dropping down from the branches above and eliminating the four remaining enemies in a nearly identical fashion. With an exchange of a mutual nod, Chaos gestured for the four to transition into their covert uniforms for the night.

"Ares-Actual, eliminated a unit patrolling the west outskirts of the compound and have acquired tango uniforms," Chaos replied through her radio, white smoke escaping her chapped lips as she pulled her mask down. "Will proceed to insertion point alpha in an enemy vehicle and update on arrival, over."

The captain of the US Armed Forces Task Force Ares exhaled a thoughtful wispy breath from her mouth, redirecting her eagle-eyed gaze toward the compound illuminated by several floodlights nearly a click away. Ares' initial landing within the forests surrounding the mission site came with more than a couple of hiccups than Chaos would have liked to admit in the following debriefing. Upon approaching the air space shrouding Compound Echo, stronger than anticipated frigid winds blew their helicopter off course. In addition, ice began to build along the blades during their flight, forcing the pilot to land in a clearing a couple of klicks away from their designated landing point. This left the group trudging through the heavy blanket of snow before arriving at their current location.

Despite the unforeseen lag in their schedule, Ares took up the enemy's identities before climbing into the open-top jeep kindly left behind by the CKS-45 soldiers.

The woman's second-in-command, Sinatra, took charge of the wheel, while her three Sergeants piled into the back of the jeep, From the passenger's side, Chaos directed him to step on the gas in an attempt to pursue further headway and cut some lost time from their scheduled events for the evening. A steady flow of adrenaline began to shoot through her chilled veins as the jeep continued toward the facility. It was a welcoming source of energy following the tough commencement of the biggest operation of Ares' short, yet well-decorated history; Operation Ballroom, their final extravagant dance with CKS-45.

Against the cold mists and winds shrouding their drive up the mountainside, Chaos propped her elbow against the door as she permitted her mind to wander momentarily. A single purpose concerned the creation of Task Force Ares; to gain intel on the terrorism group CKS-45 and eventually eliminate them from the face of the earth by any means necessary. Her thoughts flashed back to the countless and extensive meetings that concerned Ballroom, the sheer number of hours poured into conceptualizing this single night and making it possible. All of Ares' supporting operations leading up to a frigid evening in February over the past two years, it was all just a means to an end and they were going to enjoy every single last morsel.