14 | POISONED APPLE (PART 1)

New York City, Unites States / 10-31-22 / 20:10
SERGEANT KEEGAN P. RUSS / TASK FORCE STALKER
SERGEANT "KICK" / TASK FORCE STALKER

Against its vast expanse, the partially cloud-covered night was a single drop in the grand extent of the skies above New York, its flawless design the perfect backdrop countering the city's structures of glass, steel, and concrete. The towering skyscrapers surrounded the Ghosts' position on a nearby building as they remained on standby for the commencement of the mission of the night. Their luminous interiors slowly plunged into darkness as their occupying civilians temporarily resigned from their draining office lives in favour of much-needed nightlife. The waning crescent moon had become a comforting and familiar celestial entity for the soldiers of supernatural circumstances. Its soft glow provided additional company while they maintained their positions on a gravel-covered rooftop, the eviscerated stone crunching under the worn soles of their combat boots as they stalked its perimeter.

Despite the severity and criticality of the pending mission on hand, the chatter was vibrant amongst the Ghosts as they fine-tuned their weapons and adjusted their equipment to their ideal performance parameters. Keeping up appearances as the quiet and unsociable type, Keegan restrained himself from participating in any needless chatter, rather, favouring the regular maintenance of his firearms and the equipment strapped to his helmet. The man's habits were mindless but his thoughts ran wild, the main focus of his self-made isolation being the Ghosts' lieutenant still sowing chaos out in the wild. It had been three days since the Ghosts' last bout of communication with the woman, which surely contributed to the volatility of the missile crisis taking place in Las Almas and the time crunch they were under.

Regardless, Sergeant Keegan wasn't worried about Lieutenant Chaos. Keegan was concerned about his little sister, Lorelai.

"Heard some interesting news from Scarecrow-" Merrick mentioned casually, standing beside the tactical case the sergeant was sitting on. "About Chaos."
Keegan side-eyed his captain before laying his honey badger across his lap and folding his gloved hands together. He gazed out into the light-polluted skies with a sigh, hoping it wasn't misfortune Merrick brought before him but knowing his superior's tendencies, he was incapable of such a deed.
"Well?" he challenged. "Don't keep me waiting."
"Shepherd sent Shadow Company to assist in Las Almas."

Keegan clenched his jaw as the blood calmly coursing through his veins had begun to surge with intensifying energy, the thoughts in his head festering wildly despite his calm and collected exterior. Chaos and Shadow Company were a lethal combination, a ticking time bomb of catastrophic proportions no less. An operation that went horribly wrong not only fuelled Chaos' undying disdain for the private military company but also the Ghosts'. While Task Force Stalker was not directly involved with Operation Spitfire- a mission deep in an Iran stronghold that was to be demolished by ballistic missiles- one of their own was. They obtained knowledge that their lieutenant nearly died after Graves ordered the stronghold's premature demolition, effectively destroying any goodwill the Ghosts had towards the PMC.

In all honesty, he wouldn't be surprised if, upon the woman's return, she had claimed the heads of the private military company, mounting them above the common lounge's fireplace after all the hell the Shadows have put her through. If given the reason and opportunity, of course.

"I'm sure Chaos has it under control," he said, gritting his teeth. "She has her priorities straight."
"I hope you're right about that," Merrick hummed, crossing his arms over his chest as he glanced towards the sky. "Time check."

In response to his captain's request, Keegan stole a glance at the discoloured analog watch strapped to his wrist. He critically eyed the rhythmic ticking of its clock hands, their rusted pointers depicting less than twenty minutes until their targets of the hour are scheduled to land on the roof of Dimitroux Industries. Genuinely, it was nothing short of a miracle that Task Force Stalker and the NYPD were capable of mobilizing their bodies at the drop of a needle, especially when their window of opportunity was only discovered half an hour ago. Keegan could suppose he was appreciative of Kate Laswell's orders for designated NYPD SWAT units to remain on high-alert standby, possibly maintaining an open mind to the potential possibilities following the raid just a few days prior and their in-depth investigation of the building's wildly extensive contents.