19 | VEILED TRUTH

Fuerzas Especiales, Las Almas, Mexico / 11-02-22 / 23:45
SPECIAL OPERATIVE LIEUTENANT "CHAOS" / TF-141 ASSOCIATE

The curtains of precipitation continued to shower the soils and rolling hills of Las Almas, the sounds of raindrops pelting the shell of the jeep drowning out the melodies of Alejandro's favourite song composed by an American singer and songwriter. Their journey from the Gulf of Mexico had indeed been a solemn one, bouts of casual chatter cut down to the bare minimum as a deep rooted exhaustion coursed through each occupant's veins. No harm or foul was presented when participating in talks about local cuisine or linguistics but there was the freedom of verbal recluse. Chaos resigned from engaging in conversation, favouring a sequence of short lived naps interrupted by the occasional pot-hole or bump in the road.

Considering it as a blessing rather than a curse, she was huddled between the bodies of Ghost and Soap with a woven blanket wrapped tightly around her shoulders. Their sizable bodies radiated an immense coupling of heat, slowing the shock that threatened to creep down the entirety of her spine and seize her conscious thoughts. The woman's rain-soaked clothes and water-locked hair had yet to dry, effectively encasing her in a freezing shell despite the vehicle's heating system running overdrive. In hindsight, it would have been a beneficial thought to have included a wetsuit in her luggage when she had first shipped out the Al Mazrah. However, how could she have foreseen the possibility of a mission to the Gulf of Mexico when the initial briefing only mentioned the land-locked soils of the Middle East?

A breathy sigh exhaled from Chaos' dry throat at the thought; her ventures with Task Force 141 were indeed a series of tumultuous events, all coupled with the ongoing happenings of Operation Black Sonata. From the skyscraper landscapes of the Big Apple to the dunes of Al Mazrah to the streets seized by El Sin Nombre; in the span of five days, she had travelled far more compared to the time spent transitioning from one Black Sonata hotspot to the next. She supposed the change in pace and environment was beneficial, however, only when it concerned her willing recluse from special operative work that didn't involve her personal vendetta. The new relationships that were forged as a result of her inclusion were ones that she had come to cherish, easily deciding to weave the soldiers of Task Force 141 into her tightly-knit operating sphere.

Lorelai's relationship with Simon meanwhile, was one that penetrated the hardened walls of her heart, nestled deep within its fibres and promised a foreseeable future.

As if Chaos' thoughts were projected out into the open, Ghost's hand found its way back onto the soaked fibres of her cargo pants, resting comfortably on top of her thigh with a gentle thumb stroke. Her body responded on its own, nuzzling further into the sculpted flesh of the man's arm as she allowed her eyes to drift closed again. By no doubt was she exhausted from the evening's venture out into the stormy waters of Mexico's gulf. Having nearly taken a tumble into the wave-disturbed waters and tearing her sutures but having a successful mission nonetheless, she would be forgiven for desiring nothing more than to dive into a hot shower followed by a restful night of sleep in Ghost's secure embrace.

The woman was indeed down bad but it was a well-deserved sentiment.

Following one last stretch of an hour of the road, the jeep suddenly slowed to a stop just short of the gates of Fuerzas Especiales. Having passed through the thresholds of the barrier a dozen times prior, the unexpected death of the engine was ominous as it was irregular. Swallowing the uneasiness building within, Chaos trailed behind Ghost as he exited the vehicle, opting to remain firm by his side as Alejandro confronted Graves.

"What is this?" the colonel questioned, pure confusion reverberating through the air.
Chaos eyes the method by which Graves brandished his assault rifle towards Alejandro and Soap, the very action earning a blanket-shrouded reach for the P226 strapped to her thigh. A familiar haze wafted through the air, urging the lieutenant to observe initially but strike at the first instance of hostile movement.
"I am relieving you boys of your duties and as such, this base is now under my leadership," Graves answered before turning to Chaos with a crooked grin on his face.