2 | RUSS

Abandoned Industrial Facility in Lower Manhattan
New York City, United States / 10-26-22 / 22:12
SERGEANT KEEGAN P. RUSS / TASK FORCE STALKER

Underneath the negligible light pouring down from the waxing crescent moon, Sergeant Keegan and Lieutenant Chaos cautiously closed in on their designated position, currently less than half a klick off the southern entrance to the abandoned industrial facility. The situation demanded seamless finesse, the Ghosts were deep behind enemy lines and any error would burn them alive before they got a hold of something tangible to work with. Conforming to the severity of their mission, the pair favoured staying low to the ground, silently lurking through the shadows cast by the shipping containers sporadically scattered throughout the area. Through the lenses of their night vision goggles, Keegan and Chaos continued to move about the southern quadrant, scanning for any sign of enemy soldiers strolling about methodically.

Maintaining his course as he led Chaos through the unknown, Keegan kept his honey badger assault rifle loaded, aimed, and hot. The man's piercing gaze was solely focused on visually sweeping unexplored territory ahead of the pair. Had the man been tasked with such an objective alone, Keegan wouldn't be moving so quickly about the grounds behind enemy lines. Instead, he placed his complete trust in Chaos to maintain the clarity of his six as she followed him in reverse. Though she was only inches away, her presence continued to provide a familiar and nostalgic security that almost evaded his memories. The woman's attentiveness to protecting him in return safeguarded his retention to the task at hand, the concerns of a rear ambush fading into the depths.

Without a verbal warning towards his partner, Keegan came to a sudden halt seconds before rounding the corner of a shipping container. His unexpected actions were greeted by the abruptness of Chaos' pressing their backs together. The bump had nudged him forward briefly before he returned to his previous posture, craning his head towards the younger woman. Although Keegan couldn't meet her eyes directly through their night vision goggles, he could easily imagine the rise of her trimmed eyebrows and an expression of annoyed confusion or even a cheeky glare she gives him when he moves without verbal communication. An airy chuckle passed through the knitting of his balaclava as he shook his head in amusement. As if to confirm Keegan's suspicions, Chaos lifted her night vision goggles and pulled her mask down to reveal the cheeky expression he was familiar with. Keegan would let this one slide.

Despite her previous expression, Chaos relaxed her facial features once met with a now serious gaze. Against the exaggerated smokey black eyeshadow brushed around her eyes, she was waiting for his instruction as suggested by the way her pupils focused on him. Despite her position as the higher-ranking officer within the task force, she still valued his knowledge and respected his experience and authority in the field. A wordless reassurance that she was still a Ghost, and always will be no matter where her missions took her.

"Enemy contact ahead," he whispered, propping up two fingers. "Switch positions with me, I'll stand behind you."
Keegan earned a nod of compliance as she pivoted around him, assuming a slightly crouched position in front. He steadied the aim of his honey badger over her shoulder, peering through his scope attachment and locking his sights on the soldier standing to the right.
"On you Keegs," she encouraged, a smoky breath exhaled through the knitting of her ghost mask as she hooked a finger around the trigger of her honey badger.

Upon Chaos' supporting confirmation, Keegan squeezed the trigger and immediately dropped his unsuspecting target. The woman followed suit in the blink of an eye, a near-silent bullet ripping through the skull of the second hostile. They watched wordlessly as the body crumpled to the ground like a rag doll, joining their fallen comrade. Keegan and Chaos maintained their position before greetings of a pin drop met their tuned ears.