5 | GHOSTLY TENSIONS

Al Mazrah, U.R.A / 10-28-22 / 02:00
SPECIAL OPERATIVE LIEUTENANT "CHAOS" / TF-141 ASSOCIATE

Amidst the searing heat and ferocious exchange of bullets, Lieutenant Chaos found it unavoidable when she allowed her mind to wander back to the evenings at the bar just off Fort Santa Monica Beach. With the clearance of their commanding officer, Elias Walker, and the satisfaction of a completed mission, the Ghosts would gather for the simple delight of well-deserved alcohol, the men favouring hard liquor while the lieutenant enjoyed a delicate cocktail or hard seltzer. The countless but memorable nights would come to a close following shared bouts of war stories of past and present, drunken laughter, and dragging the lightweights back to the base by their dangling arms against their dragging heels. Those were the nights Chaos cherished; where the Ghosts didn't have to be soldiers of the supernatural but instead, a family of battle-hardened soldiers finding rest and relaxation, even if it only lasted a few hours.

Tuning her thoughts back to the drastic situation at hand, to simply declare the utter mayhem of the situation of their current predicament was a criminal understatement. Especially now that the situation had delved into a deeper hole than Chaos was initially expecting and initially prepared for. The plan formulated by Kate Laswell wasn't exactly going as how it was laid out across the mission control table. Hunkered down in the shell of a downed helicopter still under effective fire, surrounded by the stench of burning fuel and blood circulating through its interior? The very mention of it evaded the so-called creative minds of those responsible for the authorization of Capture or Kill, as well as mission control. On the contrary, Chaos supposed it would prove to be an entertaining recountment at the Ghosts' next outing. This was a story they would surely gape their jaws at and though not the most outrageous of her exploits, trials and tribulations, it was still a tale to share with bravery and valour.

Of course, preserving Chaos' own life would only warrant the passing of such a story- AQ was still biting tooth and nail to encircle and destroy.

Gritting her teeth into the knitting of her mask, Chaos kneeled at the side of Alpha 2-3, immediately performing a once-over before addressing the obvious elephant in the room.

"Got shrapnel in his leg during the crash," Alpha 0-2 explained calmly but Chaos could easily make out the concern for his last living teammate. "It's still bleeding."
"I need you to put pressure around the shrapnel, do not put pressure on it," she instructed firmly, guiding his hands to her desired position before turning to the injured man. "I'm going to try and slow the bleeding with a tourniquet. Do you understand me, 2-3?"
"Yes, Lieutenant..."

A sudden exterior explosion rocked the shell of the helicopter wreckage, knocking everyone off their feet and down hard onto the floor, shielding their heads from flying debris. Chaos' ears drowned with a debilitating ring as her distorted vision slowly cleared up. Gathering her bearings, the woman pushed herself up and attempted to refocus her shaky mind on the injured of her comrade, her ears now filled with the heavy exchange of gunfire and Ghost and Soap's frustrated huffing.

"We've got more enemies coming through the tree line. Chaos, get your gun up," Ghost ordered.

The woman in question muttered a string of colourful curses as she reached into her medical pack, probing amongst its contents for a tourniquet. With the current state of Alpha 2-3's injuries, she refused to bat an eye at providing cover fire until the man's bleeding was under control.

"CHAOS!"
"One minute."
"We don't-" Ghost protested further, ducking below his window against an explosion from a grenade. "We don't have a fucking minute!"
"Fuck off ya' spooky bitch! Let me do my fucking job!"

Chaos tuned out the profanity-laced protests exclaimed by her fellow lieutenant accompanied by the firing of his rifle and continued to administer first aid for Alpha 2-3. Grabbing a hold of her knife, she carefully cut the soldier's pants off his injured leg, clearing the area to make way for the tourniquet. Slipping the band above the impalement wound, she secured the tourniquet before tightening it, immediately earning screams of agony from 2-3 and optimistic reassurances from Alpha 0-2. The lieutenant's actions were combated by resistive thrashing from the soldier, forcing Chaos and 0-2 to hold him down as she continued to wind the tourniquet. Chaos was all too familiar with the blessings and curses of a tourniquet; a deep cut from a knife to the back of her thigh warranted the same procedure of first aid. The tourniquet did indeed save her life but it was far more painful than the cut itself. Following a quick assessment, the flow of blood began to surely slow, however, Chaos could only hope that 2-3 will survive the journey back to the military base.