31

Keran walked into the apartment at 7 am, feeling very tired from her night of playing a gig which no one was paying attention to.

She took off her coat and hang it on the rack, then wondered why the lights in the living room were on. The TV was also on and humming lowly, proving to her that her brother had fallen asleep on the couch. The floor was also littered with the wrappers from the snacks the two were eating and some which lied open on the floor and spilled over to the carpet. 

'James those are electricity bills...' she started as she walked towards the couch. She stopped in her tracks when she saw that James was sleeping with someone. 

Justin had leaned on his chest and James had an arm wrapped around his shoulder. 

'Friends alright,' She giggled and took out her cell phone. She snapped a picture of the two quite close, before the camera shutter roused James. 

He slowly opened his eyes then realized what was happening. 'Hey!' James quickly removed his arm from Justin and sat up, waking up the other in the process as well. 

'It's so cute,' she cooed. 

James glared at her then looked at the windows behind the couch. He anxiously pulled the curtain away and panicked. 'Oh no! What's the time!? Justin what if your parents find out you snuck out the house!?' 

'Don't worry,' he answered in a sleepy tone. 'Mom's out and dad sleeps in on weekends, that's why it was so easy for me to sneak out yesterday cause mom didn't come into my room to "tuck me in"'.  

'That's a relief.' James smiled at him and touched his hair. He then turned his body around to sit at the edge of the couch. 

Keran smiled for a moment. 'Aww James, who knew you could be all sweet? Anyway, I gotta go to bed now. See you guys in the afternoon or something.' 

Justin waved goodbye at Keran as she walked into the corridor, while James ignored his sister. 

'I should probably go though,' Justin said as he moved next to James. 'Thanks for yesterday, it was really fun.' 

'Wait,' James stopped him. 'Would you like some breakfast?'

The younger looked at him in disbelief then chuckled. 'I never thought I'd hear you say that. I guess that will be great.' 

James nodded and got up from the couch. He then walked into the kitchen. He opened the cabinets and couldn't find any appropriate ingredients to make breakfast for Justin – he and Keran usually had something quick and easy like cereal or protein bars. He recalled that Justin didn't like cereal, so he wasn't willing to give him that.

He couldn't understand how he had suddenly wanted to try hard to please Justin; it was almost as if he had realized overnight how much he actually loved Justin beneath his self-denial. Besides, Justin deserved everything – he had endured James at his worst when he didn't realize how evil his personality was, and now Justin was the only friend he had left. He was going to make Justin a breakfast he would like. 

James walked out of the kitchen, told Justin he would be back, then found himself knocking on the apartment neighbor's door. 

A young lady he had absolutely never talked to answered the door. She looked at him in surprise. 'May I help you?' 

'Hi, I'm from next door, I'm Keran's brother. Can I borrow some flour?' 

His statement was even more surprising, and James himself was surprised at the lengths he would go for Justin now. Although the lady found it strange, she agreed. She headed in and grabbed a bag of flour, then told him to not bother returning the flour.