Pulvertised

Did I forget to say these are going to be slow updates? At least one week for each chapter....

May's Point Of View

-x-

Flustered. I was flustered. My cheeks burnt redder and redder by the minute as Brendan's warm, brown gaze met mine for the longest moment. Many times I've encountered guys, they've never stared at me like he did just now. I was absolutely puzzled and I seemed to have loved the feeling. Never had my cheeks inflamed like this, it glowed brighter than the dusk-forming skies.

The sky was a gorgeous shade of crimson, specks of violet and navy and orange dancing the clouds. The edge of those hills, settling neatly on that horizon; stood the large, inviting warmth of the setting sun. My cheeks were darker than the stem of the ripest cherries. My cheeks were darker than the copper-taste of blood. My cheeks, they finally decided to let free and show the young teenager in front of me what I really meant to say. No words could beat how I looked at this very minute. I was speechless as Brendan winked and smiled, putting the camera neatly back into the compartment and into the bag. His arms stretched up to his head, himself relaxing as he leaned against the tree once more.

"Had fun, May Maple?" Brendan asked.

I looked up, the surprised look on my face widening and growing. Should I reply? Usually when I was asked a question, I was learned to never answer and just ignore it. But this was Brendan for Pete's Sake! Brendan. Brendan Birch. The sweetest, yet popular boy of the school.

"Yes. I had fun." I deadpanned.

A smile, a sweet and gentle smile, grew on his lips as he turned to face me more with his hands on his hips. I wasn't sure why, but I had the urge to examine him more as he turned this direction. At this moment, he wasn't the popular guy who was surrounded by a flock of jealous or desperate girls, didn't have his smirk that attracted them, didn't have that tough-guy-know-it-all look. He was expressing himself right now, as him. This was the sweet side of Brendan Birch, one I hoped to see more often rather than the snotty version. He had the same as ever smooth, moist skin that was lightly and ever-so perfectly tanned. His eyes were the most beautiful shade of amber ( I have said it before, haven't I? ) But his personality made him more the dreamer.

"May Maple, why are you not known around the school? Surely you must be, there isn't any girl as pretty as you." I looked up in awe as Brendan had his eyes settled on me, and only me. In my mind, I would immediately reply as sweet and grateful as possible. But as I took more thinking into the process, it sounded more of a kiss-on-the-cheek kind of thing─ it was short and sweet and never lasted.

"I thank you for the compliment," I began with a serious tone, "but I must say. I'm not known in the school for being beautiful or the most intelligent. In fact, it is the opposite. I am bullied and messed with. The students at Oak High think that I am a toy, a doll they can play with to control me with every thing I do. They hang my arms, my legs, my chest─ and move me where they think is funny. I am special, but in the worst way possible. There is not one day where I can be normal, learn like one of you without having snickers or whispers. And there never will be."

I got up from the tree, dusting myself off before taking a seat more on the grassy hill, hands fumbling and tickling with the green grains beneath me. No doubt, this was a difficult conversation for me to deal with. Nothing like these came easy for me to just go-with-the-flow on. My intelligence brought me no where so far, and I'm sure it never will. My disease did nothing but make my life a complete living hell. "No Brendan Birch, I am not beautiful in any way, shape, or form. My life is horrid and messed up. You wouldn't know, so don't try and say you know what I'm going through, for I absolutely doubt it."