Severed

May's Point Of View

-x-

Surprised. I was surprised. After a day I've been through with having Courtney and her friends encourage my death, I didn't think I could have such an opportunity with Brendan. He was still on the ground with himself kneeled down carefully. As he lowered himself, his hands still connected with mine, determined to never release them until he was prepared; whether is was for a rejection or a success.

Brendan Birch─ he was my reason for living, if I must say. He is, cheesy as it must be, the light that guides me through the darkness. He is my moon and stars and sun. He is the warmth that I feel during the frigid winters when I have no where to go, having to suffer beneath the snow. I could list many reasons, thousands if chose to, of how Brendan is perfection and that this opportunity was a one-in-a-lifetime type of thing. Saying Brendan was a beautiful person was an understatement. I knew the truth about myself and I didn't need others to tell me if was okay, for I knew it wasn't. But Brendan didn't care if my lifespan was shorter than his, and that was what caught the eyes of my heart.

I rapidly nodded my head, a smile on my lips. I wasn't the type to tear up during beautiful moments like these, but it didn't seem to bother Brendan. He gasped quietly, standing back up onto his two feet and pulling me forward into an embrace. "I'm glad you said yes, May!" He purred, rocking a little bit from side-to-side in a comforting manner. I'm a little surprised myself, I thought as I rolled my eyes. Just as the days were beginning to turn to weeks, then to months─ I could feel myself changing into a different person everyday. It was unknown to myself if that was a good thing or just a poor mistake. But I wasn't to worry about it.

"Come on, May. Let's go home."

That evening, Brendan took me home with his eyes kept on me the whole route. It wasn't creepy, though I wished he could've at least looked forward for once. It ended with himself tripping over many things, twigs, sidewalk cracks, and even his own feet. Embarrassed, he would chuckle lightly and glance away with redness upon his cheeks. How adorable, I would always think as I giggled. We stood at my door, my hand grasping at the knob along with one tightly onto the key. I turned to gently insert it, a second away from twisting it open and send Brendan away. But he took my hand quickly and held it tightly, smiling.

"Don't take what Courtney says so seriously, okay?" He whispered.

"I know." I replied softly.

Brendan grinned, the happiness of his smile fading. I know he seemed skeptical about how I answered him, but being the person I was, I simply ignored. "Well, see you tomorrow, May!" I parted my lips as to say something, only to be silenced by another pair. Hand still attached, he gently pushed me back into the shut door. Immediately, the worst thought came into mind that this was some rough make-out session, something I wasn't at all comfortable with. But as Brendan laid his lips onto mine for seven seconds, departed and turned around, I knew I was just overthinking. "Bre-Brendan!" I yelled, flustered.

"Bye, May!" He shouted, running away while waving rapidly down the street.

I shook my head to no one in particular and turned the knob, myself meeting with a concerned Mom. Lips pursed, hands firmly on her hips, eyebrows furrowed in the most unattractive way possible─ I stood frozen at the spot. A rush of heat hit me, guilt crawling up and swirling inside my stomach. Never have I felt guilt like this, and to put it simply: It was a very horrific feeling. Mom grabbed my arm, pulling me toward her in a hug. "Oh, May, did you think you could hide this from your Momma-Bear?" She inquired, the tone becoming quite cocky.