No.15 Day and Night

"Wait, Shepherd? What are you talking about, what does the general have to do with all of this?" You questioned while watching Soap, Ghost, and Price all have different expressions on their faces.

"Let me just... start from the beginning. Laswell uncovered redacted intel regarding a black bag operation ordered by Shepherd. It was originally carried out by the Shadow Company, and it was kept under wraps." Price began, and you looked around the room for a bit before nodding.

"So... Shepherd did some illegal stuff and now we have to deal with the whiplash?" You asked rhetorically, causing Price to give a bittersweet smile. "This is bullshit, why do we always have to put up with this shit?"

"Because that's our job, Y/n. We signed up so that we could protect the ones who don't know about this side of the world." Price responded with a strong resolve that you felt you couldn't question. As unfair as you thought it was, you knew the captain was right.

"We're about to contact Shepherd now, care to join in on the fun?" You heard a familiar voice, causing you to turn to see your familiar comrade, Sergeant Garricks. You smiled brightly, his arm extending and taking your hand in his for a firm handshake.

"It's nice to see you, Gaz. But... hold on, backpedal— you want to call Shepherd and confront him about this? What if he just denies everything? What can we really do?" There were a dozen questions racing through your mind all at once.

"Listen to me, Y/n. This isn't like the Vipers, do you understand? Graves can't be trusted, no matter what he's done for you." Price chimed in while folding his arms over his chest.

"The Vipers? L/n was a part of that?" Gaz asked, and your attention flickered to him before looking back at Captain Price.

"I wasn't, Elizabeth North was. Viper-4, ID number 6299013450. That was... back before I left for Siberia with Soap." You explained while shaking your head slightly at the bitter memory.

"You left them because you knew the importance of that mission. Back then, you had sensible morals. Yet here you are, protecting a man who doesn't deserve it. You know he doesn't deserve it, he's betrayed you." Price continued while taking a few steps towards that.

"Yeah yeah, I know that. But either way, what do you expec—"

"No, I don't think you do know that. You're still hoping he'll change sides, aren't you?" Price cut you off as you pursed your lips into a thin line. You were speechless, wanting to deny his accusation but also finding a partial truth in it.

"Graves, Y/n? Really??" You heard Soap, causing you to turn your attention fully to the Scottish Sergeant. You wanted to find some way to make it sound like you weren't picking Graves over Task Force 141, because you would never.

"I think that if he could change once, then he could do it again! Come on, he got me out of that fucking facility and I wouldn't be here without him. Let's all face it, he's not as bad as it all looks right now." You tried persuading.

"L/n, you're out of line." Ghost began, and you gulped thickly. "Graves sent every shadow and their dogs to find us and kill us. The only reason you're still alive right now is because of me and Johnny." He concluded, and you furrowed your brows.

"He wasn't trying to kill me until you took me from them! You can't assume the worst about someone when you're the reason some of the worst happened!" You exclaimed back, causing Ghost's eyes to darken and his fists to tighten.

"Y/n—" Soap began, being cut off as Ghost walked past him and grabbed the front of your vest.

"You shut your fuckin' mouth. I couldn't have cared less about saving your ungrateful ass, it was Johnny that yelled for me to help you after you blacked out. You think I wouldn't have had a better advantage if I wasn't lugging around your sorry ass through the streets??" He seethed while pulling your vest closer to him with every new sentence.