Chapter Twenty-Six

* * *

Remus' knuckles had turned white with rage, how could Alpha Julian manage to make things equal when they are not in fact close to being equal?

He had interrogated Sage to her wit's end, and now she was sitting in the chair beside his empty one with her head down. Even on the witness stand, he could see Andrew trying to consult her, but the damage was already done.

She had felt guilty for changing the tides. Even if Nicholas had given her a nod of approval before joining Remus close by the witness booth.

"Alpha Remus...On the note of your mate claiming that you have lied—Could you please tell the court what you've lied to your mate of all people in the room, about?"
"I wouldn't call it so much as lying as not telling her the whole truth, or keeping to promises. But I've never given her more than a white lie." A sharp sob had caused the room's attention to turn towards Kara, whose father was having a stern with her about keeping herself quiet.

But clearly, it wasn't working all that well.

"And what would a white lie entail?"
"I didn't tell her right away that the Packs of America didn't believe she was pregnant, since she was on maternity leave. Around that time there were plenty of them. Given the fact that I did not want to stress out my heavily pregnant mate who was carrying twins." Remus didn't think he was doing all that well in rectifying their near defeat, but every inch towards the truth was a better chance of proving safety.

"And your contact with the Snyders?"

"The last time I talked to them was individually after Sage and I discovered the chest with Aria Clark's body in it, along with the contract they conceived and signed with Bako."

"And what did this contract say?" Nicholas had come forward with an entire whiteboard at the ready with it written clearly for the audience.

"For those out of the room, could you please read off a few of the incidences?" Yudan's heavy voice had caused Sage's attention to peek up, and she was finally able to breathe easy knowing that her belief in Remus telling the truth.

And upon reading everything in the contract, to the faces of the Snyders turning white with fear. Julian was running out of options, and it only made things worse when a shout from the Snyder crowd abruptly stopped Nicholas' voice.

"Ms.Synder, please remain in your seat while the defendant and prosecutor are risen and speaking." Having her wrists bound made things difficult, but once the scent of blood had erupted into the room—Hayes stocked forward and pulled Kara's chair farther from her father.

"Try that shit again with your daughter, and we'll throw that charge in too." With that, Hayden turned to look at the crowd and pointed to the whiteboard.

"I have had enough...I have had enough of this blaming for deaths and for blaming for war. It's a scapegoat and lies, Sir Yudan, may I continue?" The demon chuckled, leaning forward to have his elbows connect to the wooden table before him—His chin planted in wait.

"It isn't in the nature of an elder Alpha wolf to sit down, I was wondering when you would crack. You may continue, Alpha Hayden."

"Your hono—" Julian tried, but Yudan hadn't hesitated to turn his attention.

"Silence, the scale might showcase the truth of what is being said. But I can see all, have you forgotten? Or were you going to tell Alpha Andrew that you were the one to tell Lucy to poison the kind young Luna?" The uproar had followed, but it didn't hold a temperament for what Sage had done.

In rising to her feet, her chair had flung back against the wall—The wood shattering on impact. Anyone coming near her had been pushed back and could no longer move a muscle. The Snyders had all scurried away as Sage plowed her way through, and even Remus' tender voice of understanding did sanction Julian any protection.