Chapter Nineteen

* * *

Upon peering down, Sage smiled to see that there is indeed some sort of structure—not that she could make out the entire thing. As it was still covered in layers of softened dirt.

"Alright, I need flashlights, ropes, and climbing gear—Don't know what's down there or how safe it is. Masks too." Sage nodded eagerly toward Remus' order to see the party depart to get the necessary equipment.

"Yep, that looks like a roof...Pretty sure it's rotting, shouldn't be too difficult to break." Hayes said, kneeling down closer to the hole. "But don't want to break what's inside, have to be careful." She continued on to her father's warning as she came to sit beside him, her legs dangling over the edge.

"That sounds like an order." Remus nodded in approval as he stood at her side, only for her to lean into his touch. Their bond started to hum, it was the combination of comfort that truly eased her worries.

As Hayes and Remus spoke, Sage had started to get lost in the connection—But it wasn't the bond, no.

It was a warning.

She tilted her head to get a different wave of the frequency, picking up the obsessive ringing that was starting to give her a headache. She couldn't tell if it was the sound of a car door slamming or the impending jolt of intuition that sent her gasping for air, but it certainly didn't aid in Luke's prep talk to himself of this being a normal reaction.

"Sage—"

"Sounds funny down there..." She said, rubbing at her ear and frowning at the dirt as though it was the cause of her twitching again.
"Probably doesn't want to be uncovered, feel like Demons?" Luke questioned, but Sage shook her head. "No, it feels like silver."

Now that sparked the attention of everyone, if Sage could feel the silver then there would be an issue among them. "Probably just surrounding the building." Hayes offered, but Remus shook his head as he came to level himself to Sage as well.

"I'm not picking up anything, shouldn't we be the ones to feel it?" Sage's eyes began to water, but she managed to hide it from both her dad and mate.
The last thing she needed was to be pushed to the sidelines.

It wasn't too difficult to break down the rotten tiles, but what was revealed underneath wasn't too appealing to the eyes either.

"Well, we have some wood floors, a whole bunch of scattered paper—And dust," Liam said, waving at his nose as he shined the light down below.

Sage had caught Blake's attention, and the thought had popped up in the instant of what she planned to do. Causing her Charge to frown.

We don't know what's down there hun, let one of the Elwoods go—

Can't. I find this, I have to go down there...I need you to hold Remmy back, I don't think ringing is good for normal wolves.

Blake nodded, but it felt so utterly familiar, the description of something ringing in his ears. Was that a tactic used in the Underground? It must be because Sage had labeled it with familiarity as though she experienced it before.

There was the perfect opening between the males towering over it, playing a quick game of 'not it,' Sage took swiped a mask from Andrew's hands and jumped down into the abyss.

"SAGE!" Remus roared, though it had soon been cut off as Blake followed his Luna's orders. Of course, it didn't stand much of a chance considering Blake wasn't at an Alpha ranking to pose any real challenge to the male.

Leo huffed at the sight before them. "How is it I can't get you two to do anything but your sister goes headfirst into this?!" The father shouted, pointing angrily to his boys before gesturing to the hole.